A little disapointed (expectations)

rhouser

I am working on a 6br GH load using 75gr VMAX through a factory savage 12 twist target barrel. The load that worked best at 100 would not shoot finer than 2" groups at 325 yds. I shot 8 consecutive 2" 5-shot groups, but I was hoping for at least 1/2 MOA groups at 325.
Anybody shooting the 75 VMAX? My load is 31.1 gr Viht N-135 with a wolf .223 primer and Lapua brass. Chrono showed 3254 average velocity with really good SD and ED's. Shot consistant .4 moa at 100.

Do I need to change bullets? rc

I think 2" groups at 325 yards with a factory gun are more than acceptable, but I'm like you, I want little tiny groups!

If I were you I would work on the groups shooting at 325 yds. by changing neck tension. Shoot 5 shot groups with .001" to .003" neck tension and see if that makes a difference. I have shrunk groups in half sometimes by only changing neck tension.

Let us know how it shoots.

Rifle is a stock Savage LRPV 6BR 12 twist.

X3MHunter: A good idea with the neck tension.

I also may try some FED 205's and CCI BR4's. I really am working toward .5MOA to 600. This puts me into the 500 yard EGG SHOOTER class (plus lets me reach out an touch my furred friends humanely). The 75 VMAX actually has a better BC than the Berger or Fowler 80's. They just may not "hold" as well. Is anybody getting consistant sub .5 MOA with a VMAX 75 6mm anything at 325 and beyond? Should I just start on the Bergers and Fowlers and keep the VMAX for sub 300 work? Right now, I am assuming my issue is not the gun. 8 consecutive 2" 5-shot groups leads me back to load development. I am getting no "squirrelly" looking groups. Again, this load shot raw .4s at 100 (with the FED 205 primers). Opinions are invited. thanks rc

Last edited:
I will give the 450 primers a shot... Yeah, not a great pun.

I am thinking primers before I do anything else. I used the WOLF 223's because I had them out (I do like them in my .223 Rem) and thought "Why Not try them?" Well, if I reshoot this load at the same 325 yard distance, the FED and/or CCI BR's may well give me that 1/2 inch I am looking for. Then I will have the answer to Why Not give them a try....

Again, anybody able to get -.5 MOA with a 75gr VMAX at 325 and greater?

Thanks rc

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.