A Bit Off of the Usual Topics, but….

Good point Rosebud!When I was a kid we had a refrigerator but the freezer part was small,enough for a few trays of water for ice.
We salted our meat and hung it in a netting bag in an old out building.It kept for a long time!Without salt we would have had to live on our garden only.I have not seen 10 pound bags of salt in many years.

With a reasonable cash outlay, you can keep refrigerators and freezers running on solar!

I wish we had a much better, larger system (would have to rob off of our campers). A few folks near us have some really nice, large solar arrays…..they're set for the long haul. They could run a lot of electrical equipment and easily run a well pump or if close enough to the river or irrigation canal…..water their gardens!

We don't have enough solar to run an irrigation pump….I guess that I'll be hauling water to the garden in a bucket! 🤬 memtb

Last edited:
Well gonna admit to some second thoughts here. Probably a little bit of exploring will find a couple pre-school aged kids hiding in an alley, for example, parents maybe dead. Lots of small family groups in desperate straights. I personally couldn't morally walk away, with the skills I have, and leave them to die. In Japan they have disasters like this every year or two, quakes, tsunamis, typhoons, etc, and they have built up a tremendous amount of infrastructure and agencies to deal with it. They call it BOSAI, science that can save your life. Unfortunately our government just squanders the 'infrastructure' funds on pork (not the edible type), and sells of our strategic petroleum reserve to China. Nevertheless, the national guard, military, etc. are setup to respond to disasters and they have a tremendous amount of resources. Stockpiles of food, hospital ships, floating bridges, etc. Seems that a partnership between them, medical personnel, power companies, religious organizations, farmers, engineers etc. could start to rebuild, just like MacArthur rebuilt Japan after the war. Short term would be basic food and shelter, immediately transitioning to rebuilding, with able bodied adults using their skills as needed, or just labor. Orchards should be bearing OK, crops should be plantable (for food instead of turning petro-based fertilizer into ethanol at a net loss), and non-petro based farming. I get all the water for our garden and trees from rain gutters diverted into cisterns. Diesels can burn vegetable oil and, in fact, diesels in tropical areas are almost entirely fueled by coconut oil (too thick in colder areas). Priorities would also be to get pharma companies back up and running.
One issue Japan has is the lopsided population. The last quake a few weeks ago hit a rural area, with most of the residents over 50 or 60 years old, many up to 90 years old. With roads completely demolished, they had to resort to circling around and approaching by sea. The birth rate in Japan is so low there isn't any base to support the elderly, and there won't be anybody left by 2050 or so, and they are paying couples to have children. China is doing the same thing.
Recently, tagged white sharks were found crossing the Pacific and swimming to depths of 10,000 - 20,000 feet. Why? It is completely packed with seafood of all types and sizes - enough to support hundreds of billions of people. I think that type of resource should be developed today, not when it is too late.
Here is a direct example of Japanese tech at work on solar flares:
Solar Flare Prediction in Japan BOSAI
A dozen or more other types of disasters and mitigation efforts can be found on this channel as well.

Last edited:
CST, Our forefathers survived and built this country…..we can do the same.

However, if one plans on using power tools, other than something that can be solar charged, they will be SOL.

One better have lots of hand tools, and the will to use them.

In most places, larger land animals will be non-existent pretty quickly. Fall animals will perish very quickly, as transients will kill an animal, and quickly leave the scene carrying what they can …..leaving the rest to rot! Small animals will still be around, trapping can help provide protein. A secluded pond could really be beneficial as a primary protein source, and relatively easy to protect.

Just a few things to consider! memtb
Anyone have the recipe for sparrow pot pie? Fried crow? All those raccoons I've been trapping in dog proof traps and tossing to the buzzards. What a waste!

Anyone have the recipe for sparrow pot pie? Fried crow? All those raccoons I've been trapping in dog proof traps and tossing to the buzzards. What a waste!

When I mentioned traps….coons were exactly what I was think'n of!

If you raise a garden, or have some chickens, or hogs……coons will be there for a nightly visit. Trapping them is a "two for one", you cut out some of the thieving and meat in the pot…..a "win- win"! 😉

I'm half Cajun French, and have a few years worth of Tony Chachere's….we can make most anything taste pretty darn good! 😉 memtb

Last edited:
We have several 25 lb. bags (about 100 lbs.) in the basement. Plus, about 200 lbs. sugar, about 200 lbs rice (yes, I'm a relocated "coona$$), lots of beans, ect., ect.

Oh, some Honeybees to supplement the sugar, and a source for wax which is handy for many things! memtb
When I was working as a technician in Organic Process Research, we knew the chemistry, but not necessarily the piping. One of our best buddies was a pipe fitter, who always said, yeah, too, you college boys f it up, you call for the coon ***; going to cost you beers and crabs and shrimp.

Loved that guy. And man, he could drink beer and eat seafood. Miss him still.

This is a good discussion. I've been on this prepper kick in the past and believe it has merits. Precious metals, ammo, food supply, antibiotics, etc. The question is, how long can you actually hold out? Sure, you can buy yourself some time but ultimately, I think we'll be hosed if the Poo-Poo really hits the fan. Just a matter of time. This depends upon a variety of factors, for sure. Still doesn't hurt to be prepared and I'm down with that. Ultimately, God is in control. God, Family, Country. Prepare to the extent it's reasonable for you and hope for the best.
The only thing I can think of is that it gives you time to really get yourself ready for harder times.
Prepare for the worst of the worst, if you at least have the tools for the really bad times you can get yourself ready when the rest of stuff fails

Liveaboard sailboat, fishing gear, small wind turbine and solar. Mask, snorkel, speargun/polespear. A .22, a hunting rifle, and seeds. Hole up in a secluded island bay near water. Live like royalty.
Mostly landlubbers would be just out trying to survive, just can't envision shooting anybody like that. Obviously some blue state gangbangers would be the exception.
That's actually a grand plan, only piece I would be concerned about would be big storms or titalwaves

With a reasonable cash outlay, you can keep refrigerators and freezers running on solar!

I wish we had a much better, larger system (would have to rob off of our campers). A few folks near us have some really nice, large solar arrays…..they're set for the long haul. They could run a lot of electrical equipment and easily run a well pump or if close enough to the river or irrigation canal…..water their gardens!

We don't have enough solar to run an irrigation pump….I guess that I'll be hauling water to the garden in a bucket! 🤬 memtb
If you want to do that let me know I can give you the number to someone who can help you out

I don't know if I just missed it or no one has discussed firearms in this scenario!!!

This is very refreshing and shocking that no one has suggested killing everyone deemed as a threat ……and let God sort them out!

I've never witnessed so many adults in the room! 😁 memtb
Believe me I won't hesitate to cull the turds 😁