A Bit Off of the Usual Topics, but….

We talked about whole house generators on another thread. I had a Kohler 20 KW generator installed in December. I now feel more comfortable about being prepared for almost anything. My generator just sits there, ready. And it's comforting when it fires up automatically, every two weeks, for a 20 minute "exercise" run. That just tests the system, and keeps the battery charged. The technician said he will return in three years to service the unit and replace the battery.
My 7 year old 20Kw Kohler took a dump last week on a maintenance start up. Locked up solid. Kohler service said they don't know why - could be engine or genset itself. Would cost more to diagnose and repair than just getting a new unit. Do any of you kind folks have replacement recommendations? I will appreciate your thoughts.

My neighbor just had a full house generator system installed. I really want to dig into this again. I have a heavy generator I haul to the back patio to keep my refrigerator and freezer working in long power outages. Plenty of wood to feed my wood burning stoves on my property. A creek that is flowing 365 days a year and plenty of squirrels and other critters should the SHTF. However, I am not really prepared for doomsday scenario's.

My neighbor just had a full house generator system installed. I really want to dig into this again. I have a heavy generator I haul to the back patio to keep my refrigerator and freezer working in long power outages. Plenty of wood to feed my wood burning stoves on my property. A creek that is flowing 365 days a year and plenty of squirrels and other critters should the SHTF. However, I am not really prepared for doomsday scenario's.
It you have a running creek close you should think about build a small paddle wheel setup that would turn a 12v alternator to charge batteries or constant 12v power that can be inverted to 120v.

This has been studied extensively and the estimates are that if there was a Carrington event or an EMP that completely took down the power grid in the US-

90% of the population would die off over the next year. Some estimate 95%.

Modern Man has become soft, and most have no skills to survive if the system collapses.

We talked about whole house generators on another thread. I had a Kohler 20 KW generator installed in December. I now feel more comfortable about being prepared for almost anything. My generator just sits there, ready. And it's comforting when it fires up automatically, every two weeks, for a 20 minute "exercise" run. That just tests the system, and keeps the battery charged. The technician said he will return in three years to service the unit and replace the battery.

We're considering a generator of around 7 or 8K just to get us by. It will use a lot less fuel than a big one…..in case the problem lasts for a long time. memtb

How many of us are prepared for even the slightest of power, food supply chain, or medical outages?

While certainly not likely, another solar flare similar to the Carrington Event…..could dramatically alter our lives as we know them!

For the "naysayers"….it's all bs until you're involved! 😉 memtb
We had a Post on this years ago.
We have a 11K Gen, Have a storage of GAS in 55 gal plastic drums that is mixed 100 oct Ave gas mixed with 89 oct Non Ethanoyl and Stybil = 94.5 oct.
Lasts several years and we change out every two.
Total electric home with a Well for water and have a reservoir 1/2 mile from out home. Have several K acres of private land around our home and herds of deer, turkey. We also have a stock pile of Freeze Dried Foods to last several years.
Government would colipase. Every Person for Themselves.
If it ever came to this Humanity would be lost. All the Cities would run out of food and then tribes/gangs would raid the suburbs and then into the country. That is when the neighborhood group would get involved for self-preservation.
Really would not mean much unless you lived in WY or MT in the wilderness.
Savages would try to take away everything. only hope is a lot of guns and cartridges!

This has been studied extensively and the estimates are that if there was a Carrington event or an EMP that completely took down the power grid in the US-

90% of the population would die off over the next year. Some estimate 95%.

Modern Man has become soft, and most have no skills to survive if the system collapses.

The "Great Reset"…..hopefully a few good folks survive to re establish a more civilized world! memtb

CST, even in Wyo. or Mt……you better not live in a city, if you hope to survive. The more rural……the better! 😉 memtb
We have a friend in the Wilds of MT. He and his family would be living good. If our hide/hold out here in GA failed after a few years might go there but how would we do transportation across the North America???
Mad Max!!!

This is a good discussion. I've been on this prepper kick in the past and believe it has merits. Precious metals, ammo, food supply, antibiotics, etc. The question is, how long can you actually hold out? Sure, you can buy yourself some time but ultimately, I think we'll be hosed if the Poo-Poo really hits the fan. Just a matter of time. This depends upon a variety of factors, for sure. Still doesn't hurt to be prepared and I'm down with that. Ultimately, God is in control. God, Family, Country. Prepare to the extent it's reasonable for you and hope for the best.

Recent Posts