7ss vs 280 sherman?

Let's get back to the OP. I think if you're going to have a custom build - have a true custom build. Half the fun in doing a custom build is the research for parts, and the expectation of how sweet the end product will be. You state that you are left handed, then buy a left handed bolt action. Kelbly was mentioned, I have one, and can verify that they are smooth and strong.

If weight is an issue, why go with a #5 bbl? Especially if it's 26" long. If you've never carried a rifle with a 26" bbl, there 's a big conveience difference between that and a 22" bbl.

I have two suggestions for you. First, make a list of what you want for an end product. A left hand bolt in some form of 7mm Sherman (if you are dead set on that cal, altho the 338 sounds like a good idea to me), and its use, are the only specifics you need to list. After that, list a weight range for the rifle, an energy/velocity/BC range, approx cost, and anything else that is important to you. Then, instead of going to a forum that gets bogged down in petty BS, start calling acton manufacturrers and see what they have to offer, in both products and opinions. Most of these people will build a complete rifle for you and it will be a much better product than rebuilding an over-the-counter rifle.

The second option is to take your list and do the leg work yourself. Let Google be your friend. Just Google " bolt action receiver manufacturers" and be overwhelmed. lol This is a better option than you may think, because it will expose you to options that you never knew existed. It will also give you more options to give to your gunsmith.

Wow did this thread get off tract fast. We can drop the Tikka deal, this thread isn't about that. I'm going to be using a Remington based action no matter what. Was just asking for some advice on a build and was hoping to hear some good advice which there has been some but we don't need to be nagging on each other. Let's just enjoy the forum.

TG-5150 glad your wife is ok I wasn't harping in you about getting back on track, you did get back on track, but the others just keep on going on about it.

Save yourself headache and disappointment and get a Bighorn Origin action. Roughly $800 for an accurately machined actions on the Rem700 footprint for ease of accessories. Swappable bolt faces and pre-fit shouldered barrels (available in SS chamberings) make the life span of the action much better should you burn out your barrel or want to run a different caliber in the off-season. Much better product for less money than truing a Rem receiver. Available in left hand.

https://patriotvalleyarms.com/bighorn-arms-origin-barreled-action/

NOTE: PVA is running a bit behind usual due to the release of their "factory" rifle introduction but I can't say enough about the quality of my Bighorn TL3 from them.

Rich what all will Gary be bringing into Canada? I've dealt with him a few times. Excellent customer service! Look forward to being able to access some of the Sherman line. Now if my cooper 280AI would sell I could start another Sherman build.
Just ream it to the Sherman , won't that work. Less a couple threads

Save yourself headache and disappointment and get a Bighorn Origin action. Roughly $800 for an accurately machined actions on the Rem700 footprint for ease of accessories. Swappable bolt faces and pre-fit shouldered barrels (available in SS chamberings) make the life span of the action much better should you burn out your barrel or want to run a different caliber in the off-season. Much better product for less money than truing a Rem receiver. Available in left hand.

https://patriotvalleyarms.com/bighorn-arms-origin-barreled-action/

NOTE: PVA is running a bit behind usual due to the release of their "factory" rifle introduction but I can't say enough about the quality of my Bighorn TL3 from them.
That's a deal and a half.

Were are there prechambered barrels in ss?

Patriot Valley offers pre-fit shouldered barrels for many popular, accurately made receivers as well as shoulderless barrels with nuts for popular recievers that have more variances. Tgey also do custom barrels for recievers that would need be individually sent in.

Just select the barrel for the action you have and select the barrel options from the drop down menues including caliber. If you have any questions, email them and Jeremy (or Josh the owner) will get back to you pretty fast.

https://patriotvalleyarms.com/barrels/

I already have a 6.5 Sherman. Want to sell a couple guns and do a switch barrel rifle chambered in a few Sherman shorts.
Well that's awesome. And a very good idea. I re read through the thread and I'm
Now what I did to get confused. I have a bad habit of opening up a few pages on my iPad, each on a different topic. I got a different thread confused. My apologies :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.