6.5 Sherman VS 280 Ackley Improved

Probably my two favorite all round chamberings I've built are the 6.5 Sherman and the 338 Sherman, I'm going to build myself a 338 Sherman when I find the right platform specifical for that timber cruising quick handling with a punch but also give you that ballistics that let you go longer and still hammer down not to mention infinite barrel life!!!

For me the 280 AI is great, just personally no love. The one real issue with it is making dang sure you get it chambered to the right spec since you can have the Nosler spec and the true AI spec which you see rear it's ugly head every once in a while.

I work for a Gas Distribution company. For some reason we don't have to follow hours worked Because of we have to keep the public safe. My longest shift was, I went to work on a Thursday morning at 7:00 AM and got off work at 11:30 AM Saturday morning. So 52.5 hours straight.
how is that keeping the public safe with requiring someone to work that long. They must allow you to sleep on the job.

Probably my two favorite all round chamberings I've built are the 6.5 Sherman and the 338 Sherman, I'm going to build myself a 338 Sherman when I find the right platform specifical for that timber cruising quick handling with a punch but also give you that ballistics that let you go longer and still hammer down not to mention infinite barrel life!!!

For me the 280 AI is great, just personally no love. The one real issue with it is making dang sure you get it chambered to the right spec since you can have the Nosler spec and the true AI spec which you see rear it's ugly head every once in a while.
I think a switch barrel in 6.5 and 338 would cover every single need or desire for hunting I'd ever have.
What's the recoil on his 338 comparable to? My old 6.5 was a kitten, even that 7SS you built for me was a pretty easy shooter.
Hmm...

how is that keeping the public safe with requiring someone to work that long. They must allow you to sleep on the job.
man it would be nice if I could sleep on the job. I been doing it for over 20 years now. Guess I'm just used to it. As long as you keep moving and keep your mind going you'll pretty much forget about sleep. What helps me is I'll have a check list on what needs to be done. I stay focused on that and check thangs off as I go. I remember when I was up for over 50 hours I did not here from my crew for almost 6 hours. I called their cell phone #s to many times to count. I all ready made all the repairs on the gas main. I picked up the work site and loaded the back hoe and was ready to role out. I did get a little rest in the cab of the truck for about 30 mins. My Forman was ****ed cause I fell asleep. I asked him where was you for the past 6 hours? I all ready fixed everything and loaded everything up. I'm ready to go home. My boss gave me 3 days off and told me to get some rest and thanked me for what I did. The fire department called the company I work for and told them what I did and that my crew pretty much just ditched me. They gave me a plaque I thought was cool. Yeah my Forman and the other workers were pretty hot at me. Oh well.

I work for a Gas Distribution company. For some reason we don't have to follow hours worked Because of we have to keep the public safe. My longest shift was, I went to work on a Thursday morning at 7:00 AM and got off work at 11:30 AM Saturday morning. So 52.5 hours straight.

Lol been there done that...

64-76 hours straight making french fries! Dozens of times....

43-55 hours straight making tire and wheel assemblies for mercedes, seats for mercedes, lime for pharmaceuticals, airbags for cars........

Btw my vote is a 280AI with a new 30" bartlein high velocity steel carbon wrapped barrel in a fast twist and 195 grain bergers.....

I love long heavy for caliber high bc bullets...

Left there 13 yts ago as the state was going full on KOMMUNIST and our governor was elected by a margin 30% OF THE DEAD DEMOCRATS WHO HAD VOTED IN KING COUNTY ALONE!!!
I grew up here, moved to a Texas 10 years ago with no plans to ever return but came back 3 years ago for family stuff. I figure to be relocating to Wyoming within the next 3 years. This state is run by a bunch of pirates, but the scenery is breath taking in the central Cascades where I live.

Why not get a 7SAUM?About the same as a 280AI.The problem with Wildcats is unless you shoot enough to wear the barrel out.You will never get your money back.280AI,280,270 will all do what you want and you can buy fast twist barrels for them to shoot the higher BC bullets.I have had my share of AI cartridges and fire forming them and all the extra work got boring and cut into my shooting time.The little gained to me is not worth the investment in time involved.JMHO,Huntz

I grew up here, moved to a Texas 10 years ago with no plans to ever return but came back 3 years ago for family stuff. I figure to be relocating to Wyoming within the next 3 years. This state is run by a bunch of pirates, but the scenery is breath taking in the central Cascades where I live.
Come on over! We're fine with more like you, we just don't need anymore West coasters who bring their politics (I know YOU won't, that's why I said come on over). That's the general problem we see happening in CO and even MT and TX, liberals/communists are fleeing where they're from because there aren't any jobs and their quality of life is in the toilet, so they move to a prosperous/free state, then they vote for the same type of people that were running things where they left from, and eventually their new state goes down the tubes.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.