7ss vs 280 sherman?

zr600

ok I'm going to a do a custom build in either 7ss or 280 sherman. Which one would be better for long range hunting/shooting and built on a gun that's nite super lite but not to heavy to carry around chasing elk moose and deer? Plant on shooting 175-195. Would the short action be a hair lighter? Would proably just be building off a new Remington 700 action that's left handed. Any advice would be great on my build.

ok I'm going to a do a custom build in either 7ss or 280 sherman. Which one would be better for long range hunting/shooting and built on a gun that's nite super lite but not to heavy to carry around chasing elk moose and deer? Plant on shooting 175-195. Would the short action be a hair lighter? Would proably just be building off a new Remington 700 action that's left handed. Any advice would be great on my build.
I'll let some others comment since you and I have discussed already.

Lol to many options I just need to make a mind up and start buying components.

Seriously, just pick one and roll with it. If you want a SA, go 7SS, if you want LA, go .280 Sherman. Both are great cartridges.

Easy. The one with the greatest horsepower and high quality brass.
Rich should have the answer on both counts.

I wouldn't bother wildcatting for a pussycat when you include moose and elk in the hunted game.

Last edited:
They both have really the same horse power and good brass available.

Easy. The one with the greatest horsepower and high quality brass.
Rich should have the answer on both counts.
Hi Paul . I think either one is overkill on mice!!:D

I wouldn't bother wildcatting for a pussycat when you include mouse and elk in the hunted game.
Then we're down to appearance. The cartridge that looks most like a rogue alley cat. :) I suspect that's the 7SS.

If they're the same MV, the one with the strongest case head and primer pockets for longest case life.

Ok if it was me I would look at the components I want to use since both the SS and the S are about the same. You mentioned using a Remington 700 action. For the money you could grab a Tikka which has a way better trigger and build off of that. Or even grab defiance's new action. My buddy just had a gun built off one and his smith said it was a really nice action for the price. The Defiance is a short action and the Tikka works better with the SS. So I would go SS and depending on how much you want to spend either get a Tikka for $400ish or a Defiance for twice that.

Ok if it was me I would look at the components I want to use since both the SS and the S are about the same. You mentioned using a Remington 700 action. For the money you could grab a Tikka which has a way better trigger and build off of that. Or even grab defiance's new action. My buddy just had a gun built off one and his smith said it was a really nice action for the price. The Defiance is a short action and the Tikka works better with the SS. So I would go SS and depending on how much you want to spend either get a Tikka for $400ish or a Defiance for twice that.
I'd rather have to buy a trigger, than a whole new rifle after it blows up for no reason...

Did you see the recent thread about the guy who's wife's Tikka just blew up for no reason... And apparently others had heard of the same thing happening multiple other times all over the country. I think I'd rather take my chances in an aluminum foil suit in a rainstorm.

The rifle is going to be a custom anyway, might as well drop a Timney or Trigger Tech back in it while he's got it pulled apart at the smith. ;)

I'd rather have to buy a trigger, than a whole new rifle after it blows up for no reason...

Did you see the recent thread about the guy who's wife's Tikka just blew up for no reason... And apparently others had heard of the same thing happening multiple other times all over the country. I think I'd rather take my chances in an aluminum foil suit in a rainstorm.

The rifle is going to be a custom anyway, might as well drop a Timney or Trigger Tech back in it while he's got it pulled apart at the smith. ;)
Maybe this isn't the place for this, but here goes...
I am the guy "who still has a wife" that wrote that thread. FFS, Remington has had more call backs than Tikka.

Back on track to the Sherman line, which my wife and I will be building soon.
The Op's questions included weight as a concern. So I would pick the SS and save a few ounces of action length to throw at the stock/barrel combo, only to give up a few FPS over the longer Sherman(.06 based cartridge).
I have yet to guild any of these fine calibers so I hope I have a floor here. But assured, will have a few in the safe soon.
Maybe I am wrong but maybe Rich will clarify this based off the weight savings or maybe someone who has already been there(here)

For the action I can get a new Remington action for $450. Trigger tech trigger was my plan for a trigger was thinking a grayboe Terrain stock dbm, brux #5 fluted finished 26" action will get trued and bolt lugs lapped bedded stock. Proably put on a leupold vx5hd 3-15 for scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.