7PCR vs 284shehane or other 7mm

I own a 6.5x284 and a 7mm PRC and used to have a .284. All three are really useful cartridges and provide a good level of accuracy when handloaded. The 7mm PRC is really easy to load for and the factory ammo shoots pretty well (both the match and hunting loads, haven't shot the monos yet). Components for the PRC are readily available. This would probably be a good choice for a starter in LRH.

One takes a standard bolt face the other takes a magnum pick your poison. The Shehane has a long history in Fclass with many National records to it's credit. Typically with the 180gr class bullets it will shoot between 2820-2900fps with amazing accuracy. you start getting much over 2900 and its gonna be hard on the brass. Lapua brass is the best for this cartridge.

What ever one you choose, make sure you can utilize some of these new high BC .284 cal (7mm) bullets now available. My .284 can't utilize them (long COAL) and may become a closet queen compared to my 7mm PRC.

Good luck!

No brainer, 7 PRC. It's was designed for just what you're talking about. It's a 7SAUM with a touch more powder capacity. It's designed for heavy for caliber bullets, high BC bullets. And it got huge factory support so it's gonna be around. 7 Saum would be my second choice

For PURE, L R ,.."Accuracy" at, 1,000 yds ( and a Tad less Recoil / better bbl Life ) = 7 Rem. SAUM ( with, ADG Brass ) would be, My First Choice, but IF,..
ELK Hunting,.. 7 PRC, but BOTH, are,.. Winners !

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken the stock tikka mag box will limit your max load length. I'm sure there are work arounds.

My son is using, a .300 Win Mag Magazine in his Proof Barreled 7 PRC, Tikka T-3 X ( Mag Bolt Face ) and, is having NO "Problems" with, 180 ELD-M's / 175 ELD-X's at, any "Normal",.. COAL'S

By the Way for those of, you that, DON'T Know,.. the Carbon Fiber, Proof, Shouldered "Pre-Fit" Barrel, Spins right on, Tikka T-3 Actions ( Check Head space and,.. Go ). NO Issues, for my Son and, he's getting 180 ELD-M's shooting with, StaBall HD, into the low 3's to 4's for,.. 5 shots.
SADLY, Proof is, discontinuing, the 7 Rem. SAUM, Cartridge, in their CF Barrels.

Last edited: