Savage LRH or other??

What's the difference between the viper hs and viper pst?? I can afford th hs and it has the turret option I believe

Get the Savage.

You'd only be a barrel change away from a 338 Edge.

or,

A barrel and bolt head change away from .223:D

338 Edge is based on the .300RUM, right? I thought that the 300rum had a bigger base than the 300WM, or am I mistaken?

In any case, I am sticking with my 300WM LRH, so that is my vote for you.

Top it off with good glass. Don't skimp here.

i live and hunt in az. get a remington sendero. 7mm . vais. adjust the trigger. leup 6.5-20 . the zeiss are also good . votex if you can't afford those.

338 Edge is based on the .300RUM, right? I thought that the 300rum had a bigger base than the 300WM, or am I mistaken?

In any case, I am sticking with my 300WM LRH, so that is my vote for you.

Top it off with good glass. Don't skimp here.

They have the same rim size but the RUM body is about .037" larger so the bolt will work....Rich

Hey all thanks for the replies. What can I get a sendero for? Is it really better than the savage especially when i can pick it up for 560.

Roninflag, nice to see another AZ long range hunter. I am looking at a zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50 or 4.5-15x50 with custom turrets from kenton. Is that as good of an option as i can get it? I can get the 6.5-20 for just under 700 bucks. Is that my best option for scopes? Or should get a lepold or vortex or swaro? I thought for the price the zeiss was a great deal. Also would 4.5-14 be good enough for 1000 yd hunting.

Hey all thanks for the replies. What can I get a sendero for? Is it really better than the savage especially when i can pick it up for 560.

Roninflag, nice to see another AZ long range hunter. I am looking at a zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50 or 4.5-15x50 with custom turrets from kenton. Is that as good of an option as i can get it? I can get the 6.5-20 for just under 700 bucks. Is that my best option for scopes? Or should get a lepold or vortex or swaro? I thought for the price the zeiss was a great deal. Also would 4.5-14 be good enough for 1000 yd hunting.

That is a great deal and a great scope. I have two of the 6.5-20x50 with target turrets and they are hard to beat for the price....Rich

I'm thinking you should stick with the Savage. If you can pick up an LRH for $560, you are getting it for around $200 less than I could ever get one. That is by far less that you can pick up the Sendero. JMHO

Tank

I discovered another plus for the Savage yesterday on my buddys 7mag LRH. We made a dummy round and chambered it with a 168 Berger. We then put that round in the magazine and there was plenty of room. So you could basically have that berger touching the rifling and still fit the magazine which is pretty much unheard of in a factory rifle. Havent shot it yet waitin on a scope.

TEAM- I have not tried the zeiss. i have heard they are excellent. i have several leups, a couple bushnell elites, a one vortec viper . all my senderos shoot awesome. i compete in f-class against savages . and properly set up they are ok. the top end savages are same price as a sendero. the 7mm mag can be loaded with 140 baltip/berger for coues or 168 for heavier stuff if you like. or just load the 168 for everything. my sendero has a vais brake. i would get the sendero and the lower price scope ( vortx) because that is what i have confidence in. what part of az??

you may want to pm 338winmag about his savage . he has a post about his sons 111. down in bullets and barrels . between my brother and friends we have 20 plus senderos.

I'm thinking you should stick with the Savage. If you can pick up an LRH for $560, you are getting it for around $200 less than I could ever get one. That is by far less that you can pick up the Sendero. JMHO

Tank
and it will 'probably' shoot better than the Remington, is easier to work on, and you can do most of the work yourself if that interests you.

I discovered another plus for the Savage yesterday on my buddys 7mag LRH. We made a dummy round and chambered it with a 168 Berger. We then put that round in the magazine and there was plenty of room. So you could basically have that berger touching the rifling and still fit the magazine which is pretty much unheard of in a factory rifle. Havent shot it yet waitin on a scope.
you never know about this though as my Rem 700 30-06 ADL does this also. Loaded real long with 208-210g bullets touching the lands still feed from the mag. My ONLY problem with the LRH model is the barrel. The longer the barrel the stiffer it has to be to prevent 'whipping' or so I'm told. This may be why most sporter factory guns are in the 22" range. The LRH has a relatively long barrel, but it's not heavy. I'm just not sure how the gun will shoot with a long light barrel.

Be sure to report back!

Thanks for all the replies and conversation about building my first long range gun. I am really torn between the sendero because I know how good the 700 action is. I will have to do some much magic and see what I can get the sendero for price wise. If its 400 more than the Savage then I probably will have to take a chance on the savage.

I am really leading toward getting the zeiss scope. I see zeiss in the same class as swaro and leica. Leopuld nikon and vortex are in the next class in my mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.