7PCR vs 284shehane or other 7mm

ceard

Afternoon, this year I plan to build or buy a rifle to shoot LR. I want something in 7mm/.284 and I want some opinions of people who have some more knowledge or made the wrong purchase in the past. The only stipulations I truly have are the caliber being 7mm/.284 and I want to be able to build it on a tikka receiver. I have also considered the Xbolt MaxLR in 7prc. The rifle will have a low chance of being used for hunting but it's possible. I will be reloading and have reloaded in the past however am just getting back into a place in my life now where I can get back into it. The range closest to me is 800y and there is a 1000 and 1800 within driving distance however I would likely only be able to get out to the longer range every couple months. I was originally looking at the 7prc however as I was looking, I found the 284 Shehane and it seems like it might suit my purposes with a lower powder use however forming the brass would eat up some of that. Buying made brass would be nice but not required. The 7prc would be built on a tikka 695 receiver or a bought browning and the 284 on a newer tikka. Any suggestions from y'all I have been debating this for a few months and can't make up my mind enough truly to "pull the trigger" so any input is appreciated or enough suggestions to conflict me for another couple months.

Do the 7 PRC to start IMO. It'll have good quality brass available, lots of information to compare to, easy die support, just in general less of a niche case. Might be better in a factory repeater action also, there are instances of the rebated rim on the 284 Win case (Shehane parent) having feeding issues. I've never personally had any with 6.5-284 (don't have a straight 284 repeater), but never done a Tikka repeater myself either, and the smith I use said I was on my own if there were any feeding issues when I insisted on 6.5-284. He's a real-deal smith too, and got it working even after saying that because he's a perfectionist 🤣

There's no bad answer here. Pick one, shoot the heck out of it. I use a Berger 184gn F-Opens in my 284 Win, and the 190 Hybrids in 7 PRC, both are a great choice.

Last edited:
Any suggestions from y'all I have been debating this for a few months and can't make up my mind enough truly to "pull the trigger" so any input is appreciated or enough suggestions to conflict me for another couple months.

Much of what can be said for both cartridges should only add more consternation to your decision making. Both cartridges are excellent for your long range endeavors.

The .284 Winchester and the Shehane variation have been used for a substantial period of time in F-Class competitions. Very popular and very accurate when you and your gunsmith perform.

The 7mm PRC has more powder capacity, so with longer barrels, it has the advantage in velocity. You will also experience more recoil in the different shooting positions.

Personally, I suggest that you can skip the Shehane and use the straight, factory .284 Win. brass and be happy with your choice and the performance. Buy top quality brass, get the chamber cut correctly and be sure you make all the brass consistent.

Enjoy!

:)

Afternoon, this year I plan to build or buy a rifle to shoot LR. I want something in 7mm/.284 and I want some opinions of people who have some more knowledge or made the wrong purchase in the past. The only stipulations I truly have are the caliber being 7mm/.284 and I want to be able to build it on a tikka receiver. I have also considered the Xbolt MaxLR in 7prc. The rifle will have a low chance of being used for hunting but it's possible. I will be reloading and have reloaded in the past however am just getting back into a place in my life now where I can get back into it. The range closest to me is 800y and there is a 1000 and 1800 within driving distance however I would likely only be able to get out to the longer range every couple months. I was originally looking at the 7prc however as I was looking, I found the 284 Shehane and it seems like it might suit my purposes with a lower powder use however forming the brass would eat up some of that. Buying made brass would be nice but not required. The 7prc would be built on a tikka 695 receiver or a bought browning and the 284 on a newer tikka. Any suggestions from y'all I have been debating this for a few months and can't make up my mind enough truly to "pull the trigger" so any input is appreciated or enough suggestions to conflict me for another couple months.
This depends on the bullet you plan to use, such as the 195 Bergers. You will need a cartridge with powder capacity to propel them at velocities to take advantage of the bullet attributes.

The comments on the 7 PRC are all valid. I'm not intending to be dismissive or contrary, but in the realm of 7mm ultra-accuracy, might want to look at the 7mm PRCW. I'm not sure of what makes it different, but Eric Cortina has won numerous championships on 1000yd comps. Jist another idea to consider.

If you're building it to shoot and not hunt, you're probably better off with something like the 7prc as brass life and barrel life is longer than the bigger cartridges. My gunsmith told me to expect around 600 rounds out of the 28 Nosler he built from me which is fine for a hunting rifle but would need rebarreled quickly if shot every month. I'm under 300 rounds, and now only shoot a few rounds a year checking zero, and double checking at distance before a hunt. I didn't even shoot it at distance this year because I failed to draw any tags. I have other rifles to shoot to stay in tune myself ranging from my 22lr's to the famed 6.5 CM that so many here love lol. The sound of steel banging at 1000 yards is pretty doggone cool.

When you say the rifle has a low chance of being used to hunt, I think the 284 would be good. Lots of F Class shooters use it. It will be up to you to decide if fire forming and brass prep on a Shehane is worth it to you. For me I'm not sure the little gain in velocity would be worthwhile to shoot targets.

I definitely would not chamber up a bigger 7mm such as a RUM or STW. These and the 28 Nosler are great hunting rounds but will eat up a barrel to fast for what you want to use the gun for.

if your main interest is target with the occasional hunt stick with the 284 either variant or my choice would be the 7PRCW. the PRCW uses 6.5 PRC brass just necked up to 7mm with clicker problem solved and a throat design optimized for the 180-184 Berger hybrids. the only other option worth considering is the 7SAUM.
don't waste your time with any of the larger options all they do is use more supplies with no gain in accuracy, usually less accurate and harder to manage.
the 180 hybrid even at 284 velocities make for one heck of a hunting round at ranges to 800 yds if hunting longer go 7SAUM.