Savage LRH or other??

Is the savage LRH just a light sporter barrel? Or does it maybe have like a medium barrel? I know it is not a heavy barrel. Also I was told there is no need for a heavy barrel if you only shoot a few times in the field at an animal? The heavy barrel is needed when multiple shoots are placed?

Is the savage LRH just a light sporter barrel? Or does it maybe have like a medium barrel? I know it is not a heavy barrel. Also I was told there is no need for a heavy barrel if you only shoot a few times in the field at an animal? The heavy barrel is needed when multiple shoots are placed?

I'm pretty sure it it a magnum contour which puts it between sporter and varmint. It's a very good compromise and is plenty thick enough for 3 round groups.

I'm pretty sure it it a magnum contour which puts it between sporter and varmint. It's a very good compromise and is plenty thick enough for 3 round groups.

+1, its bigger than a sporter, but w/o one in hand I can't give you an exact dimension. I think it finishes out in the .625" to .75" at the muzzle. The varmint contour finishes out at .840 I believe. According to Lothar Walther, the Savage finish contour to there long action 116 sporter 26" is .620" I think that is what the LRH is. The 110/112 sporter measures out to .550" Hope that helps a little. It may be a little bigger with the break on the end of it.

Tank

Last edited:
Well that's more encouraging. Talking to different people I was under the impression it was more sporter weight.

Thanks for leading me to 338's post about his 111 long range hunter. Reading that worries me a bit. I will definetly have to dos ome more researcha nd see what I can score a sendero for? Or even building my own gun from scratch but that seems to far out of my price range.

Thanks for leading me to 338's post about his 111 long range hunter. Reading that worries me a bit. I will definetly have to dos ome more researcha nd see what I can score a sendero for? Or even building my own gun from scratch but that seems to far out of my price range.

Another option is to buy a cheap Savage and put a Premium barrel on it.

I'm seeing $675 for the LRH and $989 for the Sendero. I'd go with the Savage anyway, but if you can get it for less that is a steal. Then, throw a Zeiss on there and the rest is history.

liltank - no i have not seen your custom rifle. 1500 is doable abut not ideal for me. From what I hear a custom gun will not shoot much better than the savage if it performs. The question is if it will perform and thats a big question.

I dont know anything about custom bulding. All I know is that I would get a kreiger barrel thats about 300 and then idk where to go from there. It sounds like using a 700 action would be ideal and then stock work. What price range would be looking for something like that? Is there anyway to get it around 1000? Also what are the odds it would shoot significantly better than the savage. I would expect .5 in groups from the savage and maybe .4/.3 from a custom gun?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.