Savage 111 LRH 6.5x284

TysonLeal

Hi all, I have this great little rifle. Like just about everyone else my muzzle brake froze, but mine is in the off position. Called savage, they sent a replacement, but I can't seem to locate a schematic for assembly. I get the concept of how it works, but wanted to be certain...especially when things go boom. Anyone have a diagram of the muzzle brake inards or have experience assembling their on/off brake they could share? Thanks in advance for any help. I did try google and YouTube, but no dice in my searches.
Tyson

No schematic but I've had two m111 LRH models.
The first one I tried to keep the brake operational. After cleaning make sure all oil and fluid is dried off from all parts of the brake ,I used brake cleaner. Oil left in the brake burns and seizes the brake.

After a few months I gave up and let it seize up in the open position.

Go get some PB Blaster (preferably) or Kroil and soak it overnight then work it by hand if that doesnt work, wrap a thin towel around it and work it open with small channel locks.
When it opens leave the **** thing open until it needs a new barrel.

My 11 LRH 6.5 creed has about 100 round thru it, and it's already froze open.
I'm not going to worry about it unless I see some corrosion.
If I do, I'm going to replace it with a aftermarket. Maybe have Witt machine make me one.

To keep my brake clean I give it a shot of Wipe Out. I have not observed any corrosion after 6 years. Freezing aside, it's not a bad brake, with my rifle having the felt recoil of a 22-250 with no problem seeing bullet strikes. My Savage LRH is one of three 6.5x284's I own. While it may not exhibit the build quality of my Custom 700 and Cooper, it easily stands with them in terms of accuracy, consistency., and reliability. Having won it at an Egg Shoot, I has gave me a new respect for the Savage rifles. I have since acquired a Predator in 22-250, and a Long Range Precision in 260 Remington, all three producing custom class accuracy.

Thanks for the replys. For those that may search on this later, here is what I found.

I removed the brake from the barrel and soaked in anything and everything designed to eat carbon. No dice. So after calling Savage and receiving my replacement in the mail I went to work disassembling. I tried heat, channel locks, vice grips, strap wrench and then a cutting wheel. I made a relief cut and tapped the insert out, being careful to watch out for the stainless pins that create the on/off click. This is important because Savage sends you three different sizes. I used a micrometer to measure the original pins and then replaced them with the proper sized pins. Sprayed it down with some dry lube, slipped the outter sleeve over the inner sleeve and threaded back on the rifle. Snugged it down tight and clicked the brake into the open position, never to be clicked again...

Great little rifle, the on/off brake is an Interesting idea, but poorly executed contraption. As a previous poster mentioned, this will stay intact until the barrel is replaced.

Thanks again for help...TL

To keep my brake clean I give it a shot of Wipe Out. I have not observed any corrosion after 6 years. Freezing aside, it's not a bad brake, with my rifle having the felt recoil of a 22-250 with no problem seeing bullet strikes. My Savage LRH is one of three 6.5x284's I own. While it may not exhibit the build quality of my Custom 700 and Cooper, it easily stands with them in terms of accuracy, consistency., and reliability. Having won it at an Egg Shoot, I has gave me a new respect for the Savage rifles. I have since acquired a Predator in 22-250, and a Long Range Precision in 260 Remington, all three producing custom class accuracy.

Good to know a out the long term corrosion non-issue.
I agree with the Savage rifle accuracy. I am currently switching all of my rifles over to Savage. I moved some Rugers and Weatherbys and replaced them with Savage.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.