my 338 lapua savage lrh 111

myrifleisLapua

Got my long range hunter model 111 today. I love the looks of this fun feels real sturdy guess that's because the accustock. Probably going to use a redfield revolution 4-12x44 I love that scope had one before never got use before I sold it on a rifle but very clear and holds up to recoil not a target scope but this is a hunting rifle hence the name.

2012-02-01_19-25-52_154.jpg

2012-02-01_19-25-41_168.jpg

2012-02-01_19-25-32_150.jpg

Going to get a proper bipod just used this one to hold it up. Also I went with the lapua over the rums and wby because barrel life and since its got it's foot in the door with several militaries I feel its place among rifle calibers is secure. Not sure about the others.

Congrats on the new rig! Have fun! What do you think of the Accustock?

i like it . feels very rigid not the same feel as those flimsy ramline stocks . hope to shoot her soon . wish i had a scope id take it to the hog field this weekend . depends if i get my income tax back by then . notice it doesnt have a barrel but really its smooth there .

When you get your tax return, you may want to look for a little better scope. The Redfields are nice, but you are going to really limit the Lapua's distance with that scope. If you want to price savings, look at Vortex, Bushnell Elite 3200 series, Millet LRS, Phantom Menace, Nikon Buckmaster, and other various scopes in the same price range. Will offer you the ability to dial up, and a little more power.

Tank

Alright will so. I wanted a Leupold competition 45x45 with german #1 reti$cle. But I can't spend 1000

I heard it has the recoil of a 308 with the brake so hope it wont be to rough on optics

I broke a Zeiss on mine. So yes they are hard on scopes Ryan

I have a Vortex PST 4.5 on mine. Any scope with a lifetime guarantee (Ziess included) works fine..... at least it's returnable....

To the OP....

I'd pull the picatinny rail from the receiver prior to mounting any optic and reseat the hold down screws. I had 2 loose from the factory and the other 2 were not torqued properly. They need to be checked.

Pull the rail entirely, clean the underside (it's radius milled to the receiver contour) and reseat and retorque the hold down screws. I put a dab of blue threadlocker on the end of each screw as well.

The recoil on mine reminds me of a 12 gage slug gun. It's more of a push than a sharp slap.

I've fired mine from the hip (don't ask why...) and it was very controlable. Don't recommend it, just had to be done.....

It's heavy. So heavy in fact I'm getting a 111 lightweight hunter in WSM. Not wanting to lug a howitzer up and down mountains....

In reality, for the built in accuracy, it's a cheap date....:D

What type of tool does those screws take allen wrench, torx etc? Looked at the new redfield revenge. In 6-18x but un sure of the quality but I was talking to a class 3 dealer with a mcmillan tac50 which he said he had a super sniper and he couldn't break it.

Torx or spline drive. Either works. The bits with a FAT Wrench fit. Actually, that's what you should retorque them with. I was going to dress the base plates if I detected any rock but I didn't, yours may be different, you'll have to hand fit it and see...... The fixing screws don't go in the receiver all that far so it's imperative to actually pay attention to the tightening torque. Kentucky torquing will probably strip the threads and that won't be a good thing.....

I also removed and shortened the carriage bolts used to secure the cheekpiece to the stock and then canned them entirely and replaced them with marine grade stainless bolts of the correct length plus I canned the stock knobs in favor of smooth aluminum knobs with steel threaded inserts.

The stock bolts are too long and stick through the tightening knobs when the cheekpiece is tightened down. They stick out far enough to snag on clothing if you shoulder carry. Some things succumb to top quality when the price point is reasonable, the bolts are one. They (bolts) look like something from Home Depot.

I have a Harris 2 axis bipod on mine that I borrow from one of my match rifles. I'll most likely shoot this rifle prone (most of the time) with the forestock resting on something convenient, like a backpack or a wadded up towel...

Tis a nice rifle although heavy and the bipod makes it heavier and the scope adds to the weight too. At least it's not a BA at 23 pounds or a Barrett.

Everything else about the rifle is top shelf (IMO) considering the price of a grand OTD.

I'm into black tight wrinkle finish with an engine turned bolt. The firearm looks as my wife aptly said.......'Industrial'.:)

As a postscript....

Loose the funky sticker on the cheekpiece, it looks tacky. When I picked up the rifle, I peeled it off and stuck it to the countertop at the gun shop....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.