Any leftys shoot the Savage 111 LRH

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Elkshooter, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Elkshooter

Elkshooter New Member

Hey all,

My first post on your great forum. I've been lurking for a while as I've considered getting into Long range shooting.

The good lord blessed me to shoot on the wrong side and as I'm considering a long range shooter I've been looking at a Savage 111 LRH. Budget now is limiting me to off the shelf models, but someday a custom may be in my future.

I haven't seen one in person so my question for you all is: does the adjustable comb hand screw interfere(aka whack a lefty in the head) when you shoot this gun?

From the pics I've seen it looks like those 2 hand tightening screws would interfere with a lefty's face and I really don't want to fight that battle if I don't have to.

I was wondering if you could put the tightening screws on the left side of the gun or if I should give up on that model and go with something else.

The bolt on "my side" doesn't bother me, been shooting righty guns all my lift.

I read somewhere that Savage could make a lefty version of this gun by special order and was wondering if anyone has any experience going down that road.

If anyone has seen one of these gun and could comment on whether it will cause me facial harm by shooting it "from the wrong side" I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Elkshooter(some years)

2. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the wonderfully frustrating world of long range hunting for left handed people:D

I anticipate the day they offer a true LH version of the LRH, as I will probably end up with one of each... but until then, there is no compromising for me, I purchase LH only. (I really want the 6.5 Creedmoor)

Savage does have a "custom shop" & from what I hear, they are more than happy to build you what you want. Although if you are willing, I don't see why you couldn't switch the thumb screws to the other side of the stock, I held a LRH in 6.5x284, but I can't recall the details of the cheek piece.

You can always pick up another model in your chosen caliber & change out the stock, Savage has an outstanding reputation for accuracy, you don't have to be super picky.

3. dieseldoc

dieseldoc Well-Known Member

pull off cheek piece and swap nuts from left side to right and the way you go.

4. myrifleisLapua

myrifleisLapua Well-Known Member

i was going to get the 338 lapua lrh but figured id be happier if i just saved my money towards a 375 cheytac .the karsten cheek piece has got good reviews though . like they said flip it around .

5. No Fear in Accuracy

No Fear in Accuracy Well-Known Member

I'm lefty too so keep us posted when you contact the Savage rep about the left-handed rifles.

6. wasgas

wasgas Well-Known Member

The cheek peice is reversable, already tried it.

7. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

it's my experience in dealing with Savage that they are extremely customer oriented so I'm sure it's within their capability to build a 111 LRH in any caliber in a LH only model.

I'm +1 on the Karsten Cheek as well. I actually have mine marked for my son and myself. We each cheek weld in a different location so I just paint marked the cheek for faster setting as we share guns...and as stated, the fixing hardware is changeable left to right and vice-versa.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  8. myrifleisLapua

myrifleisLapua Well-Known Member

They also have karsten that using allen bolts instead of knobs

9. SidecarFlip

Hardware selection (as far as cheek attachment) is as close as the nearest ACE hardware store. It's all SAE anyway.

I'm not overly fond of the stock clunky looking knobs on the 111 anyway. At some point, I'll probably machine something from aluminum and black anodize it.

The supplied knobs remind me of overdone soda bisquits.....:)

As an aside, there has been posts on this site and others extolling the vitrues of the HS stock versus the Karsten adjustable cheek, something that I considered when I purchased the 111/.338. The Karsten seemed to be a better fit adjustability wise for me and it's proven to be just that. I'm not demeaning the HS variant, but the adjustability of the cheek works well for me.

10. Elkshooter

Elkshooter New Member

Awesome news! Thanks guys, I was hoping it would be as easy as reversing the cheek screws and it sounds like that's the case.

Thanks for all the help.

11. clemens

clemens Well-Known Member

Don't understand why its so difficult for products to be available for left handed shooters really sucks you gentlemen get hosed over something so simple, and on top of it they charge 200% markup. Anyway I called savage and Talked to Effie Sullivan was her name. Had her run me a quote for a Model 111 lrh in 7mm rm.
    26" finished heavy sporter barrel with brake. had the Cherokee cheek piece with the 2 adjustment knobs was quoted 1410$ out the door. again i'm right handed. was hoping to call and see if they could put the McMillian stock on with heavier barrel. Dont care to much for there vias radial brake, it can be opened and closed if one would like to do so. They also have the bigger brakes for the .338 lapua police model, but havnt talked to her about that one yet. Have a friend who had .300wsm built and he is at 1/2 groups 100yd. extremely happy with it.

12. SidecarFlip

In defense of any manufacturer (because I am one...), left handed actions (extraction and ejection on the opposite side) aren't considered production items and machines and tooling have to be reset to accomodate.

I get that scenario ocassionally, the customer asking if it would be possible to alter an existing production design to make a 'special'. I always answer 'of course' but with a caveat. That caveat is it costs more because it's not a production (and normal) item.

Anything is possible at a price.

From my dealings with Savage Arms, they seem very flexible in changing options but be apprised, it always costs more.

I understand the difficulty perfectly.

13. 3fingervic

3fingervic Well-Known Member

I called Effie to get a left handed 110 FCP-K in .300wm. It was a $200 charge for the special configuration. I thought it was a good deal so I went for it. I'm not willing to reach on the wrong side at this stage of my life.

14. SidecarFlip

I take it that it's going to your local dealer??

I have to say that in my phone calls to Savage, they are always upbeat and happy. Not like Michigan workers.........:rolleyes:

I'm waiting for a price on 2 (yep 2) 11/111 Lightweight Hunters chambered in 308 Winchester. The short action wighs in at a paltry 5.5 pounds and that's a wood stock, no tupperware....:D