7mm Terminal Performance Issues? True or False?

Funny thread as in ha ha but also as in peculiar. Send all those inferior 7mm bullets and rifles to me.

One thing I noticed years ago, all of those deer that were "hit good" that ran off, were not actually hit so well. I have chased down a good number of wounded deer with a blood dog, never seen one that was hit good go very far, whether he was shot with a .22CF or a .35. On the other hand I have seen some gut shot deer go for miles, no matter what caliber wounded them.

Wow some people really do get ****ed over this...

I got this nice message from big boy Winmag

"Wow. Im impressed on how you scientifically take real life experience and call prople morons for it. People like you make me sick. If you have nothing of value what so ever to add to a conversation, or nothing constructive to add why open your mouth and look like a jackass? If you have anything to contribute weatrher for or against try acting like an adult and keep your insults to yourself. Most of us are here to learn and contribute. Aparently anyone who doesnt like a 7mm or has had bad experiences with it, or just plain diss agrees with you- who must obviously be some kind of ballistic god- are all morons huh. Grow up. If you have a different opinion thats fine, but why use insults to try and get your point accross? You must be pretty arrogant, and pretty sure of yourself to act in such a matter."

Let me say this winmag and everyone, you say "people are here to learn..." yes they are and I want to do what I can to stop stupid rumors with no evidence to support them from polluting anyone's mind that is trying to learn. Is that what this site is for, to transmit information that is completely wrong with no foundation???
Just because some hostile moron like winmag thinks a 7mm bullet is cursed and won't kill anything properly doesn't mean its right

Last edited:
Wow some people really do get ****ed over this...

I got this nice message from big boy Winmag

"Wow. Im impressed on how you scientifically take real life experience and call prople morons for it. People like you make me sick. If you have nothing of value what so ever to add to a conversation, or nothing constructive to add why open your mouth and look like a jackass? If you have anything to contribute weatrher for or against try acting like an adult and keep your insults to yourself. Most of us are here to learn and contribute. Aparently anyone who doesnt like a 7mm or has had bad experiences with it, or just plain diss agrees with you- who must obviously be some kind of ballistic god- are all morons huh. Grow up. If you have a different opinion thats fine, but why use insults to try and get your point accross? You must be pretty arrogant, and pretty sure of yourself to act in such a matter."

Guys, this is an 86 post thread and so far we have managed to keep things in check. Let's not blow it now . . . . please! There are some good things to learn from this thread despite which side of the gun you are on! :D

Ok, we won't blow it. I was shocked at how ****ed someone got that I thought this rumor was ridiculous, apparently he wants everyone to agree that the 7mm has problems. Here is my stance for the record...
Scott, nothing against you at all, I'm glad you posted this...
People may have had some personal experiences with 7's that made them not like them...but... there is no possible way that a bullet .284 in diameter is intrinsically worse at killing game than a bullet .308 or .264 in diameter.
THINK ABOUT IT FOR A MINUTE

Ok, we won't blow it. I was shocked at how ****ed someone got that I thought this rumor was ridiculous, apparently he wants everyone to agree that the 7mm has problems. Here is my stance for the record...
Scott, nothing against you at all, I'm glad you posted this...
People may have had some personal experiences with 7's that made them not like them...but... there is no possible way that a bullet .284 in diameter is intrinsically worse at killing game than a bullet .308 or .264 in diameter.
THINK ABOUT IT FOR A MINUTE

+1 to that!

Dude, Im gonna let it go and take you for what you are.
Im pretty sure I was polite in my responses to this thread. I dont care to be labled as a "moron" by some cyber ninja. I dont claim to be a big bad *** either. I also dont care to be called a stupid redneck who needs to get some, Oh sorry I didnt cut and paste your quote! I sent a message off this board in response to your rude comment, figuring that if anyone had anything constructive to say for or against fine, but keep the childish name calling to yourself and try to be civil and constructive.
Nice editing job, did you just convieniently forget to include the part about you calling everyone who didnt care for the 7mm a moron so you could look like a victom? At least I had the decency to keep it off the boards, and send it in message form, and not muck up a thread in response to your rediculous post.
I never said anyone had to agree with me. I never set out on a mission to say how much better this or that was, I simply stated why I didnt like one when there are so many other choices that IMO are better suited for how and where I hunt. Infact I repeatedly said If you like em great. Then somebody else -like you- would take a half *** cheap shot and I would have to reply (politely mind you) and remind them that IF they liked the 7mm great.
I dont for my own and numorous others experiences. I hope even a person like you never has the issues I have with that caliber, as well as many others have had. In fact I hope you do well with your choice of whatever cartrige you choose. But quit acting childish and using insults and edited quotes to get your point accross. Really... "stupid redneck who needs to get some" "hey look what a badass winmag is" "moron"........ Where is the constructiveness in any of your antics? How have you contributed to this thread in any way other than ****in people off.
Look I treated everybody with respect when replying to thier posts. Even if I didnt agree with them. You have some serious issues. I sometimes wonder why I even bother to belong to a forum where insults and childish crap like this is even alowed to be posted.
What happened to all the respectfull members here? Dissagreements come and go, but have some tact. If you dont have an axe to grind send it in message form, and keep it there. Look obviously you and I dont care one little bit for eachother, and Im ok with that, but Im done with this thread.

I guess I'll step in the poo again! This rumor of the 7mm problem was not started by a moron, at least how it originated with my experience is from old meat hunters that had no care in the world what they shot as long as it cleanly killed game without blowing a bunch of meat up, they had no care of science they just killed the game they needed. Not a singe one carried a 7mm, as in ZERO!!!! You can't just discount this when an old guy with more elk and deer under their belt than you'll ever see gives you his opinion, science no but a I'll take the life time experience of an old man over anything. Ya, I've given the 7mm a try didn't like it just like I didn't like others but if some one does good with one rock on!! I've all way considered my dislike of the 7mm mostly centered around the 7mm mag but I've never called any one a moron for using one if it worked good for them, unfortunately most of the guys I've dealt with over the 7mm has been helping them figure out why it won't penetrate an elk shoulder or why it blew a front quarter of, it is usually easy to find the problem which is a poor choice in factory ammo which may be what the old guys had going on as back in the day they did not have the excellent array of bullet we have today.

Most my problems have not been dealt with scientifically, I just don't like belly crawling out to the middle of a circle to try to single out one wounded elk out of 800 head, I don't ask much more than what the heck your shooting and where the heck were you aiming. The last cow took that was wounded that I had to get took three days of belly crawling down fence lines and pivot tracks trying to get her singled out and killed, kinda sticks in a guys mind lightbulb

Now I'm going to have to mill a bunch of 7mm and 270 bullets in half just to see if there is a difference.

Winmag, remember the days when guys like us were just ranch hand local guys, now we graduated to red neck morons, a guy needs hip waders in this thread but oh well. By the way had several hundred head of elk just outside Jackson and I forgot to take my tags to work with me and the rancher wanted me to go take a couple home, it's the time of year to take the rifle, tags and orange to work!!

I am still laffin over this thread. Everybody knows a .280 aint good for nuthin but squirrels and rabbits and possums....get a 338 and forget all this foolishness:)

Eddybo, man o man I'm laughing too! You guys win, you're right theres just sumpin about those 7's that just don't do it

It is very funny, you'd thought we called some ones mama fat, rather than giving a simple opinion on experience in context to the question in the OP. Seriously, I would like to get one 7mm to try again, it would be the 7RUM with a 200gr Wildcat, I would think that could put a smile on any guys face.:Dgun)

What an interesting thread!

One time a hunting partner of mine brought a friend of his to the deerlease. He's supposedly an ex-sniper. We started talking because I'm known as the "Long Range Shooter" in camp, so we start talking calibers. I told him about my 7mm-08 and he said 7mm's were a bad choice for hunting because they "wounded" alot of deer every year. I told him about my 264 WM, then he said that was a piece of sh** caliber too! He said he used to have one and hit a mule deer twice and the bullet blew up or over expanded and didn't penetrate, the deer died but he gave up the 264 WM after that.

So... I'm glad I was smart enough to just nod my head and walk away!
I'm sure poor shot placement by the 7mm shooters and bullet construction for the 264 WM had nothing to do with it! ;D

My point is, we will hear alot of stories from people, but we have to be smart enough to filter out the BS!

Re: .338 Terminal Performance Issues? True or False?

About seven years ago an old fella in his 70s got upset with his neighbor and shot him at point blank range with a .338 Win Mag. The incident occurred on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula, and news coverage of the incident could likely be located by Googleing the Peninsula Clarion. The bullet passed within an estimated 2" of the neighbor's heart, according to the medical doctor's quotes. Dr. stated that the fella was one very lucky person.

The victim was in his 50s and survived the shooting with very little permanent physical impairment. In fact I'd say no permanent physical impairment. Probably enough mental trauma to last a lifetime though.

A clean through and through. The bullet obviously never expanded, although the bullet was never recovered. The shooting happened outside in the yard. Amazing stroke of luck for the victim. Also very fortunate that the older fella didn't reload and paste him again.

What's this mean relative to the killing power of the 338 Win Mag? Just about nothing...

Last edited:
when I was 11 my dad gave me a 243 and that was my rig, Shot a few elk with it . But wanted more saved up from mowing lawns, etc. and got a 7MM rem mag, most worn gun in my cabinet, shot 1/2 my game with it, and I MAINLY elk hunt.I felt like I was shooting farther and once again, I wanted more, 340 WM. I would not hesitate to grab the old 7mm, shot 175 grand slams.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.