350 SMK Terminal performance

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Kiwi Greg, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Kiwi Greg

Kiwi Greg Well-Known Member

Hi, I have tried various searches but haven't really found what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for opinions/advise on the terminal performance of the 375, 350 SMK on game animals.

How do they compare to the 300 SMK, I understand they may be tougher, but I'm unsure as to whether they will be suitable or not.

I will have a couple of chamberings up & running soon to try them & the 330 CE bullets in.

I will probably be running them at 28-3000fps, not sure yet.

What twist rate will they stand ?

Cheers Greg.

2. Long Time Long Ranger

Long Time Long Ranger Well-Known Member

I shot those in my 378 wby between 2900-3000 fps with good results. I took an elk with one and it was a complete pass through so I had no bullet to look at. Judging from the internal damage to the animal and the exit wound I feel like the bullet did open up and expand. The range was between 700-800 yards at about 7500 feet elevation so you can calculate about what the impact velocity was. 2950 would be a good muzzle velocity but I don't remember exactly.

I have no experience with the 330 grain CE bullet.

3. Kiwi Greg

Kiwi Greg Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply.

I have shot Red Deer with the 400 CE @ 2900 in my 375 Terminator at 775 & 600 yards the damage is incredible, more to do with the sheer size & energy of the projectile, it had to be more that just expansion.

I'm hopeing that situation will continue with the SMK.