7mm Bullet For Hogs?

Yeah! The chopper came on a trailer and parked in the pasture on the ranch and unstrapped the helo and took off from the trailer and charged the rancher $6400 for 3-4 hours of flight time... which is alot of air time.
We'd go in pairs of shooters with the pilot for 30-40 minute hunting trips and come in to switch shooters. Covered thousands of acres. We were instructed to start shooting from the back of the running hogs and they would continue in a line. If you shoot the lead... they would break up in different directions.
The chopper outfit was from Uvalde.
God bless those people...

My son is going to Texas on a hog hunt. He is taking a 7mm Mag. We have Nosler Partitions, Accubonds and Berger VLDH bullets and a large amount of RL26. Which bullet for 200-300 yards to quickly down the hogs.. Thanks
I'd steer toward the Accubonds. I've never had phenomenal experience with the 338 Partitions. The A-Frame's have a better build. My go-to hunting bullet is Barnes-X. Interbond's and Accubond's are very accurate and perform well, also.

Kind of funny when you read responses, they are all over the map. There are a lot of misconceptions by reading through this thread. Head shot isn't necessary but you'll drop them more time than not.

Pretty much any bullet in 7mm will be fine for them. All I ask is you make sure to bring lots of bullets at least 300 rounds. Non Resident hunters must take as many as they can and will be taxed $5 per unfired round for any taken back with them. We love Non Residents. Hogs are trophies!!!! Kill them all.

140 /160 gr. Bullets if your shooting from a stand. When I'm checking cattle my ranch rifle is a AR .223. 64 gr. PSP readily take them down. On the larger frame hogs I usually double shoot them. If close 40/50 yards behind the ear. Want to eat one take a small one under 60 pounds and weep them in ice. Smoke them with a light rub with pecan wood.

When hunting hogs in Texas landowners usually want to reduce the hog population so I'm shooting mostly for numbers so I use a suppressed .300 Blackout AR with a 6x scope for the first, behind ear shot and then a 3MOA red dot sight on an offset base for running shots on the rest of them. I don't use sobsonic ammo, just not enough oomph. Works great out to easily 150. Great fun!!!

Just like AnethesiaMD mentioned, behind the ear at the base of the skull and they drop without a sound. I killed three on a night hunt with an AR in 5.56, distance was 80 yards using a rest, they dropped on the ground and the other pigs just looked around at them and kept on grazing. Picked out another and did the same thing, nobody ran off, picked out a third and dropped like a rock.

Attachments

• IMG_20190316_215039266.jpg
    IMG_20190316_215039266.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20190316_215322282.jpg
    IMG_20190316_215322282.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20190316_215149184.jpg
    IMG_20190316_215149184.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
My son is going to Texas on a hog hunt. He is taking a 7mm Mag. We have Nosler Partitions, Accubonds and Berger VLDH bullets and a large amount of RL26. Which bullet for 200-300 yards to quickly down the hogs.. Thanks
My favorite is 140 gr Barnes TTSX in 7mm08 over 42 gr 4064 particularly superb penetration for rear end running away shot where penetration is critical. Heart shots for long distance broadside and head shots for close range with nearly any bullet.

Remember that a hog is not built like a deer. The working parts of a hog are between the front legs so if you want to shoot a hog in the heart & lungs just follow the front leg up and hit about halfway up the body. If you shoot a hog like you are shooting a deer in the lungs you will probably shoot him in the belly and he will run away. A high shoulder shot will kill anything.

Last edited: