7mm Bullet For Hogs?

Any 7 Mag pill will take em out from just behind the shoulder and forward. The real long range shoots are not common unless he is going somewhere where they are set up for it, I 've taken them out to 300 with my Grendel and 700 with the 257 Bee.
If he wants the ultimate experience, hunt em out of a helicopter, I can think of only one thing that is more fun.
Ilse Helicopter Service, El Campo Texas, he has contract with the Rice Co-Op and the rice is flowering this month and the hogs just love it. I took 73 in about 1.5 hours year before last on July the 15th
What did it cost to do that? Definite bucket list item.

My son is going to Texas on a hog hunt. He is taking a 7mm Mag. We have Nosler Partitions, Accubonds and Berger VLDH bullets and a large amount of RL26. Which bullet for 200-300 yards to quickly down the hogs.. Thanks
My experience with 160 Partitions makes it the ultimate go to round for 7RM, I am sure there are plenty of great performing bullets out there but I found Nos Partitions early on in load development and haven't looked elsewhere in 15 years. Every animal I have even taken with them was drt.

Any of the bullets will work. I live in South Texas and I have access to a lot of Hog hunting. Ive killed more than I can count over the last 40 plus years. Killed em with a 22 LR. 223, any and all popular deer hunting rounds, 12 gauge buckshot and with dogs and a knife. Key to DRT is shot placement, especially if you are gonna harvest the meat. My preferred shot placement is ear hole. If I can't get that shot then move closer, hogs can smell and hear but can't see for ****. If your not gonna eat em then shoot em wherever you can. I hunt at night a lot and we walk into them and let em have it. Hogs are a huge PITA for ranchers and farmers down here. Hard to get at em when they are in the thick brush.

With all that said Ive killed the majority of em with an AR in 223.

Hope this helps. Have fun!
J

I have killed hogs with all 3 of your bullet choices with my .280AI and 7-08. They performed well. Whichever bullet your rifle shoots best would be the obvious. However, if you plan on preserving meat, use the Noslers. Have a great hunt!

Hogs are not really that hard to kill if you hit them right.A poor hit is another thing though.You want to put them down as quick as you can otherwise they quickly get pumped full of adrenaline and you may have a hard time finding them if they run off.Here are a couple of Reloader 26 loads I use in my 7mags.I have four 7mags that will shoot these loads great.150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips with 69.0grs of Reloader 26 and 160gr Accubonds with 67.5 grs of Reloader 26,this load ran 3084fps.

Break lots of bone or they will run in my experience. Even then they can run. The only sure way to stop them is brain or spine. The last one I shot was about 300lbs. 300 mag 212 ELD-X with an impact velocity right at 3000 fps clipped the liver going in and took about 1/3 of the liver off, turned both lungs to soup, heart split in half (literally) and exit wound through opposite shoulder breaking shoulder. The bottom half of the jacket was lodged in the spine somehow. Hog ran about 50 yards total after the shot and into the thick brush. Without a thermal monocular the recovery would have been iffy. The blood trail stopped within 15 yards of where it was shot, the layer of fat and no possible way to make blood pressure are the cause I guess. I was shocked that it could take that impact energy and damage and still run but it did with no visible sign of impairment at all over 20 yards or so that I could see. The cloud of dirt that came off it at impact was spectacular, easily 10 feet in diameter LOL.
I've heard that hogs, pound for pound, are some of the toughest animals in North America. I've seen 250 lb boars shake off head shots from .223 to the skull. I got surprised by a young boar recently, at about 70 yards, 3-4 375 H&H rounds into him and he still ran 80 yards. Of course, if I had hit him right behind the ear he would have laid right down, but snap shooting in the brush, sometimes the hits are lethal, but not instantaneous. Recommend going with a bonded, partition or copper bullet. I've had lighter bullets like interlocks blow up on a hog at a muzzle velocity of 3200 fps or so.

Hogs are not really that hard to kill if you hit them right.A poor hit is another thing though.You want to put them down as quick as you can otherwise they quickly get pumped full of adrenaline and you may have a hard time finding them if they run off.Here are a couple of Reloader 26 loads I use in my 7mags.I have four 7mags that will shoot these loads great.150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips with 69.0grs of Reloader 26 and 160gr Accubonds with 67.5 grs of Reloader 26,this load ran 3084fps.

Good info. Thanks

My son is going to Texas on a hog hunt. He is taking a 7mm Mag. We have Nosler Partitions, Accubonds and Berger VLDH bullets and a large amount of RL26. Which bullet for 200-300 yards to quickly down the hogs.. Thanks
On the last Wild Boar hunt that my Dad and I went on, I used my 7-08 with my handload consisted of 154gr Hornady Accubond's w H4350 at about 2750 fps.
The one I took was approx at 150yd, quartering towards me was a real test of the bullet's construction/ the ballistics that are identical to a very famous- known for penetration with the right bullet- round used on every Continent- 7x57mm Mauser.

My shot impacted the right front shoulder/ Armor Plate & penetrated 4' of the 250 lb Hog came to rest just under the skin after breaking the back hip on its way thru and it fell out when the guide was skinning it. I still have the bullet.

The 7 RM opens up far more options for you, I'd use heavier- 170-185 gr bonded bullet and call it good. It could be that the lighter 154's I used may be going too fast and might not make it the whole way thru due to opening up too fast due to the added velocity???

All I know is that combination worked amazing. My Dad got one about the same size w/ his 30-06 and either 165-180 gr soft points. Also 1 shot more broadside with complete penetration

Out of the dozens we have shot off our ranch I would be happy with the noslers accubonds. We have shot them with everything from .22 hornet to (its my boredom sport rifle) .416 Ruger. Heads shots or bone breaking and they will be where ya put them at. We have taken a few with 150gr corelokt 7-08 with out flaw. I agree on if ya want meat use the accubonds. Just for dropping em what ever cheap bullet shoots well is the best recipe. I think what gets a lot of folks is they shoot hogs where they think the vital zone is. Usually they shoot a bit far back because of the body shape and hair throwing them off.

We usually tell folks line up the vertical hair on the front leg and horizontal one roughly even with the ear if their head is down. Typically puts the cross hair onto heart and bone. The 416 with 350gr speer soft points they tend to explode where ever they were at.

On the last Wild Boar hunt that my Dad and I went on, I used my 7-08 with my handload consisted of 154gr Hornady Accubond's w H4350 at about 2750 fps.
The one I took was approx at 150yd, quartering towards me was a real test of the bullet's construction/ the ballistics that are identical to a very famous- known for penetration with the right bullet- round used on every Continent- 7x57mm Mauser.

My shot impacted the right front shoulder/ Armor Plate & penetrated 4' of the 250 lb Hog came to rest just under the skin after breaking the back hip on its way thru and it fell out when the guide was skinning it. I still have the bullet.

The 7 RM opens up far more options for you, I'd use heavier- 170-185 gr bonded bullet and call it good. It could be that the lighter 154's I used may be going too fast and might not make it the whole way thru due to opening up too fast due to the added velocity???

All I know is that combination worked amazing. My Dad got one about the same size w/ his 30-06 and either 165-180 gr soft points. Also 1 shot more broadside with complete penetration
Hornady Accubonds?