7mm Bullet For Hogs?

Dosh

My son is going to Texas on a hog hunt. He is taking a 7mm Mag. We have Nosler Partitions, Accubonds and Berger VLDH bullets and a large amount of RL26. Which bullet for 200-300 yards to quickly down the hogs.. Thanks

I would say bullet does not matter, hitting the vitals is. I guess you could pick the most accurate (with greatest expansion to increase your chance of hitting a vital). Most of mine are from 1-200, I do not think I have taken one past that but accuracy will be most important at longer ranges.
BTW, I rarely take head shots, many people do to drop them quickly but I normally take body shots and have never had one run off when I aim for heart/lungs.

Last edited:
Any 7 Mag pill will take em out from just behind the shoulder and forward. The real long range shoots are not common unless he is going somewhere where they are set up for it, I 've taken them out to 300 with my Grendel and 700 with the 257 Bee.
If he wants the ultimate experience, hunt em out of a helicopter, I can think of only one thing that is more fun.
Ilse Helicopter Service, El Campo Texas, he has contract with the Rice Co-Op and the rice is flowering this month and the hogs just love it. I took 73 in about 1.5 hours year before last on July the 15th

The toughest and the cheapest for hogs!
I drilled 5 last year with my 7mm-08 and 120 NBT whistling along @ 3K!
Knocked the crap out of em.
My son got 2 with 162 SST out of 280 AI. Did a textbook job on first hog in the crease around 150 yards and blew a shoulder out but died after hobbling a bit on the second hog about the same range.

Break lots of bone or they will run in my experience. Even then they can run. The only sure way to stop them is brain or spine. The last one I shot was about 300lbs. 300 mag 212 ELD-X with an impact velocity right at 3000 fps clipped the liver going in and took about 1/3 of the liver off, turned both lungs to soup, heart split in half (literally) and exit wound through opposite shoulder breaking shoulder. The bottom half of the jacket was lodged in the spine somehow. Hog ran about 50 yards total after the shot and into the thick brush. Without a thermal monocular the recovery would have been iffy. The blood trail stopped within 15 yards of where it was shot, the layer of fat and no possible way to make blood pressure are the cause I guess. I was shocked that it could take that impact energy and damage and still run but it did with no visible sign of impairment at all over 20 yards or so that I could see. The cloud of dirt that came off it at impact was spectacular, easily 10 feet in diameter LOL.

Any 7 Mag pill will take em out from just behind the shoulder and forward. The real long range shoots are not common unless he is going somewhere where they are set up for it, I 've taken them out to 300 with my Grendel and 700 with the 257 Bee.
If he wants the ultimate experience, hunt em out of a helicopter, I can think of only one thing that is more fun.
Ilse Helicopter Service, El Campo Texas, he has contract with the Rice Co-Op and the rice is flowering this month and the hogs just love it. I took 73 in about 1.5 hours year before last on July the 15th
Did helicopter hunt once before with an AR north of Hondo! One of my most favorite events ever!!

About a 200lb er taken last week at 672 yards 300 PRC 230 GR Berger HT in South Texas. Nice cutters on him.

Attachments

• 20220713_132950.jpg
    20220713_132950.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 98
I hunt a lot of hogs in Oklahoma. Most of my shots are around 100 yards. Have shot them with everything from a 223,6.5 grendel, 6.5 Swede, 300 blackout, 300 ham'r, 7 saum, and 308. The lesson I have learned is the only way to anchor without running is a shot 1" behind the ear. Pigs vitals are further forward than a deer. Most people shoot too far back and they will run for 100's of yards before they realize they are dead. If you are in open plains of Texas then shoot shoulder and let them run. If you don't want to track then shoot just behind the ear. Any caliber works with an ear shot. They aren't invincible but are tougher than most game animals to convince that they are actually dead. Plus most shots are 50-150 from my experience. I hunt mostly day but also thermal at night for reference.

Oh yeah….If you can or have one available, I would pass on the 7 mag and pick up an AR just for the follow up shots. They are almost always in a group and bolt actions are slower than semi autos 👍
Most fun I had was with a supressed AR 300 blackout shooting 208 grn subsonics