Favorite bullet weight for a 270 & 7mm

62" drift 168 .280
64" drift 180 .280
my 169.5 .277 wildcats @ 3015 have a 38" drift @ 1000 with a 10 mph crosswind @ 5000' I'll stay with the 270

I just noticed that you said at 5000 ft. Using bulletflight fte Berger 168 at 3100 fps with a 10 mph cross wind has a wind correction of 37.5"

I just noticed that you said at 5000 ft. Using bulletflight fte Berger 168 at 3100 fps with a 10 mph cross wind has a wind correction of 37.5"
I went to the appliedbulisticllc web site on CRNA's post I think the 37.5 sounds closer than the 62"
mine is calculated on Exbal
I think you would be good with either berger 168 or 180 also the 165 matrix or 169.5 wildcat .277 but I would use a 1in9 twist on the 270.

+ 1 with 270 lefty all the way. my 300wm is going to the closet. I love the fact that i can load up the 165 or even the 175 matrix and have a legitimate long range rig that will not brake my bank to load for. 66 grns of retumbo. Awesome, I will get more loads out of my powder and have more downrange energy than my 300. Sign me up. Can't wait until spring to get my rifle back.

Darrin

Don't get me wrong I like the 270. I have a t3 lite that I will rebarrel to 270 wsm. It is 300 wsm right now but shooting 180 to 200 gr is just not fun! I loaded it with 150 and it's so much nicer. In that weight range of bullet the 270 just dominates. So while I won't go the 165+ gr bullets in the 130-140 range it will be a good light weight gun that has great ballistics ANC is much more comfortable to shoot.

I totally agree with ya. Its funny I used to be the guy that wanted a 375rum for lomgrange. Then I started thinking and doing some reach and now I want an effecient longrange rigthat won't eat up my powder. For now my 300wm is going to the closet. Well see though

Darrin

Myself & two friends had custom 270 amps built one of them just killed a montana mulie @1150 with a 169.5 wildcat one shot walked about 5 yards his amp is going around 3100 fps @ the muzzel i think you can get close to that with a 270 wsm in a heavy bullet. But the 270 bullets are a lot harder to come by

270lefty if you don't mind I have a question. What is a 270amp?. Yeah you are right that is why I am using matrix bullets. They are easier to get.

Darrin

regarding favorite bullets for 7mm:

Don't forget the 162 A-max. I read extensively on this bullet's performance and it is a winner. If you couldn't get the 168 VLD to shoot this is a great alternative. Google the 162 and read hunter's accounts of its killing abilities. According to what I found Hornady used to list it for hunting thin skinned animals.

While it wasn't a long shot by this site's standards, my 7 rem mag shot this bullet very accurately and did a DRT on a coues wt at 409 yds. The animal dropped and didn't even twitch. High double shoulder shot. Meat damage was minimal.

270lefty if you don't mind I have a question. What is a 270amp?. Yeah you are right that is why I am using matrix bullets. They are easier to get.

Darrin

Vary similar to Kirby's 270express except using a 7mm dakota parent case neck sized down to .277 and neck turned 40 degree shoulder it is a very efficient cartrage 70 grains retumbo is pushing a 169.5 @ close to 3100 down a 28" tube

regarding favorite bullets for 7mm:

Don't forget the 162 A-max. I read extensively on this bullet's performance and it is a winner. If you couldn't get the 168 VLD to shoot this is a great alternative. Google the 162 and read hunter's accounts of its killing abilities. According to what I found Hornady used to list it for hunting thin skinned animals.

While it wasn't a long shot by this site's standards, my 7 rem mag shot this bullet very accurately and did a DRT on a coues wt at 409 yds. The animal dropped and didn't even twitch. High double shoulder shot. Meat damage was minimal.
A buddy of mine shoots the AMAX and has killed two bulls one 320 the other 380 both past 500 yard killed with AMAX 7mm both on video and didnt take long to die. Plus a good number of deer

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.