7mm bullet decision

venatic

My choice of elk medicine this season will be a 280 Remington. Last season I shot one elk with the 162 AMax one with the 162gr SST and the last one with a 168gr Berger Classic all with the same Steyr rifle. Yes I like to tinker. :cool: All shots under 100 yards and all made about two steps and collapsed.
My plan was to use the same load I ended up with last season (168 Berger)but checking my twist rate of the Steyr it turns out to be 1/8.6 so it should handle the 180gr Berger Hybrid and I just happen to have some.
Loaded up a group of them this morning and they shoot fine and to the same POI as my other load at 100 yards.
Now the question go with the heavier 180gr at 2730fps or run the 168gr Classic at 2925fps.
I doubt I would try to take a shot much past 600 yards or so with this setup so not sure it really matters but checking to see if anyone has taken larger game with the 180 Hybrid. I know the 6mm 105 Hybrid is not a good deer bullet..... well unless you LIKE blood trailing then its an OK choice. :rolleyes:

It would seem to me that increasing the mass of fragile hunting bullets can only improve terminal performance. Most hunters who choose Bergers seem to prefer heavy for caliber bullets, myself included.
I've shot quite a few whitetails with the 180 VLD from a 7WSM but have not taken any elk with that load.
I have a Red Stag hunt coming up and decided to use the 160 Accubond which shoots under 1.5" at 300 yds in my rifle. That's nearly as accurate as the Bergers at that distance.

Im not much help for the real world experience with bergers on game, but i would personally take the bullet that carries the most energy out to 600 yards.

My choice of elk medicine this season will be a 280 Remington. Last season I shot one elk with the 162 AMax one with the 162gr SST and the last one with a 168gr Berger Classic all with the same Steyr rifle. Yes I like to tinker. :cool: All shots under 100 yards and all made about two steps and collapsed.
My plan was to use the same load I ended up with last season (168 Berger)but checking my twist rate of the Steyr it turns out to be 1/8.6 so it should handle the 180gr Berger Hybrid and I just happen to have some.
Loaded up a group of them this morning and they shoot fine and to the same POI as my other load at 100 yards.
Now the question go with the heavier 180gr at 2730fps or run the 168gr Classic at 2925fps.
I doubt I would try to take a shot much past 600 yards or so with this setup so not sure it really matters but checking to see if anyone has taken larger game with the 180 Hybrid. I know the 6mm 105 Hybrid is not a good deer bullet..... well unless you LIKE blood trailing then its an OK choice. :rolleyes:

>>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/7mm-bullet-choices-157605/

I have used both of the bergers on elk out to1000 and both make them very dead.The high shoulder shot worked on both and i found very little of both bullets.I would advise using what makes you feel confident.The mental part of the shot is equally important as the squeese of the trigger.

I have used both of the bergers on elk out to1000 and both make them very dead.The high shoulder shot worked on both and i found very little of both bullets.I would advise using what makes you feel confident.The mental part of the shot is equally important as the squeese of the trigger.

which cartridge and what twist rate?

7 rem mag 162 gr amav and the berger 168 vld, 1in 9.25 twist. i have one custom and one of the gunworks set ups.Both are well under 1/2 moa.I have a krieger barrel on one and other than being heavy it is a dream to shoot.The gemtech suppressor actually helps but adds weight and length.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.