7mm 168 or 180 for hunting?

upacreek

I was very excited to finally get my hands on some bullets this week. In load development I have found 2950fps with the 180 and 3080fps with the 168. After looking at a couple ballistic calculators its a pretty close comparison regarding velocity and energy. Infact the 168 is a little flatter shooting. Since I am not done with load development and they are both performing equally at this point what would you guys do? My gut would always go with sectional density so the 180 is winning for me.
I need to pick one and run with it, so what would you guys do?

These will be used stricktly on elk and under 600yrds. My problem is if the gun gives me less than 6" groups at 700 or 800 yrds consistently, and I cant get closer its always a possibility. So far 800 is looking very possible.

I was very excited to finally get my hands on some bullets this week. In load development I have found 2950fps with the 180 and 3080fps with the 168. After looking at a couple ballistic calculators its a pretty close comparison regarding velocity and energy. Infact the 168 is a little flatter shooting. Since I am not done with load development and they are both performing equally at this point what would you guys do? My gut would always go with sectional density so the 180 is winning for me.
I need to pick one and run with it, so what would you guys do?

These will be used stricktly on elk and under 600yrds. My problem is if the gun gives me less than 6" groups at 700 or 800 yrds consistently, and I cant get closer its always a possibility. So far 800 is looking very possible.
I would develope 2 seperate loads. One for Elk, one for Deer. Elk, the 180's. Deer, the 168's will be fine.

I nailed 2 deer between 175-225 yards (longest shots we had on greenfields) back in January with my 7mm RM and 168 VLD's moving about 3,115 fps MV. It was like Thor's hammer hit them. The first one jumped, and took off......A whopping 15 yards. LOL And the 2nd one was a bang-flop dead in her tracks, and never moved again. :D

Unless you just want to keep things simple, in which case the 180's will be fine for whitetails, too.

The barrel is a 26" lilja 1:9 twist. #5 fluted if that matters. I have not shot a deer in years. Because of family limitations elk hunting is the only big game I chase. It takes 2 weekends to haul camp and feed into where we hunt and then normally a week long hunt.

I keep blaming work on my problem, but then my bank account reminds me money is the real culprit.

The barrel is a 26" lilja 1:9 twist. #5 fluted if that matters. I have not shot a deer in years. Because of family limitations elk hunting is the only big game I chase. It takes 2 weekends to haul camp and feed into where we hunt and then normally a week long hunt.

I keep blaming work on my problem, but then my bank account reminds me money is the real culprit.

with a 1:9 twist i would go with what muddy said .

the reason i asked about the twist is i have a 1:9.25 and i'm at see level so i'm
on the edge of stability and when the temp gets low my 180vld pills spread around
a little but with a bit of temp or altitude they work fine for me .

I use the 168 gr. in my 7mm WSM. It kicks a little less, which makes you shoot better. I've only shot elk twice with this setup, but at 340 yards, it almost dropped them in their tracks.

I like simple, so whatever you decide to use, I'd recommend using the same bullet for everything. The game won't notice.

I am using magpro. Hoping tonight to do a ladder test on H1000. Did a ladder test on my .243 last night and was impressed with how much less powder and time its taking me to narrow things down. My 7mm isnt a record breaker, but I am happy with it.

upacreek i'm using 69g of H1000 with the 180g jammed in 15 thou for 2960fps

and 71g with the 168g for 3060 also jammed 15 thou . cci 250 primer .

rifle is a sendero11 .

will be very interested in your H1000 results .

cheers D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.