What is the max velocity the 7mm 168 or 180 Berger hunting VLD can withstand?

AZShooter

I have heard of some VLDs coming apart when pushed fast. Wondering if a Berger hunting 168 VLD moving at 3300 or a 180 hunting VLD at 3100 from a 1 in 9 twist will survive the trip.

Has anyone with a 1 in 9 managed to find the velocity where the 168s or 180s would come apart in flight?

thanks

I have heard of some VLDs coming apart when pushed fast. Wondering if a Berger hunting 168 VLD moving at 3300 or a 180 hunting VLD at 3100 from a 1 in 9 twist will survive the trip.

Has anyone with a 1 in 9 managed to find the velocity where the 168s or 180s would come apart in flight?

thanks

I have not had any of the larger bullets shed there jackets upon firing I have destroyed the 140s @
3800 ft/sec.

There is a question on Impact velocities though. there is definitely a upper limit on Impact
Velocities with all bullets.

The bullet maker will normally list the velocity range that there bullet will perform best. go above
or below and performance will suffer.

Those muzzle velocities should be fine and Impact velocities should also.

Maybe some of the bullet guys will chime in.

J E CUSTOM

What are you using to push a 7mm bullet that fast? I am assuming not your average 7mmRemMag like mine. I would think that I would need plutonium instead of gunpowder to do that with mine.

What are you using to push a 7mm bullet that fast? I am assuming not your average 7mmRemMag like mine. I would think that I would need plutonium instead of gunpowder to do that with mine.

I had a 7mm Rem Mag with a 31" barrel that pushed a 168gr SMK 3254 ft/sec "BUT" At the cost
brass only lasting 2 firings.

The STWs and the RUMs will exceed that. (Without Plutonium).

J E CUSTOM

My STW's will reach the 3100 and 3300 fps range but I haven't taken game with them. All I can tell you is they will not blow up in flight at that velocity.

That is what I wanted to hear. I am rebarreling my 30" 7 rem mag with another barrel with slower twist and 6 grooves. I just wanted to hear that the bullets are not going to give me any issues with my intended velocities, which are under the numbers I threw out there.

I am sure you read about the problems I had with my old 1 in 7 3 groove barrel? It routinely destroyed the 180 VLDs after round count 225. I got up to 3050 with 180s and 3300 with 160 nosler accubonds with that old barrel. Used moly and RL-25 with the 180s. Used moly and RL-17 with the 160s. With this properly twisted rig (1 in 9) I want use the 168 VLDs.

I will be happy with 3150-3200 with uncoated 168 VLDs. Sure learned some things with the old rig. Too bad I was ill advised on the twist and groove configuration. Now I research alot more before I buy a barrel!

Thanks for all the comments.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.