Berger hybrids for hunting? 180 7mm

I never take a shoulder shot if I have a clear shot in the crease. I seek the most direct route to the vitals and for me that is tight in the crease behind the shoulder if possible.

Jeff

Good to know Jeff! I know alot of people are gung-ho on the shoulder shots for the large game. Just wanted to verify. Thanks.

I've heard of guys annealing the tips of the hybrids. Just enough to change the colour. 8-10 seconds with a torch. It helps with expansion.

Very interest to read more on this annealing target projectiles. Seems like it would help greatly on expanding in longer range situations.

Would enjoy reading more about results with the 180 hybrid. I have a 7 SAUM (Rem 700 Ti) with DBM that I can load the 180 to around 2.95". Thinking I can get 2,800 fps muzzle velocity which should reduce the closer range explosive exits.

Since the nearly 5 year old thread ended back in 08-14, I have used the 7mm 180 Hybrid in my 7RM. I took my elk at 662 yards, pass through, exit was about silver dollar size. Bull went maybe 40-50 yards before nose planting. No blood the 1st 30 yards, then lung Jell-O for the next few before he dropped. My daughter also took her cow at approximately 60 yards. Exit was about golf ball size. Excellent blood trail on hers.

Rem brass
CCI250
H1000
180 Hybrid
2996fps

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.