7mm Berger 180 Hybrids

RH300UM

First off I'm not posting this to bash a bullet or the company. This post is for information and to apply it as you see fit
After a questionable performance this last fall on a bull elk I just had the chance to discover the problem.
I found that this lot of bullets I have had almost non existent cavities in the hollow point.
I went through all of this lot with a pin vise and a 27 thousandth drill bit to open all the tips up to the lead core.
I ran into this with the 195's also but didn't think twice it would happen on the 180's with past experiences.
I'll be checking all my bergers now.
Thought I'd share my findings so others could learn.

Where was the hit? What did the wound cavity look like? The tip being clogged statements are completely unfounded. We have killed quite a few animals now with the Berger pointed bullets(LRHT) and they perform at least as good as the open tipped bullets. I also have never cleared a Berger tip and have lost zero game with a well placed bullet.

Last edited:
I agree with Ryan. I've never had a problem with them. Especially the 180's. I"m curious also how the hit was. Was all of the bullets in the lot like this. This made me go look at a 500 count box and I couldn't find one like your described. If that's the case document it and call Berger, I bet they would assist.

Where was the hit? What did the wound cavity look like. The tip being clogged statements are completely unfounded. We have killed quite a few animals now with the Berger pointed bullets(LRHT) and they perform at least as good as the open tipped bullets.
Good questions
I should have posted that originally

Shot was 635 yards
7saum
180 hybrid @ 3000fps
3 shots in a 3 inch placement behind the shoulder
All 3 shots had no perceived effect.
Watching through a spotting scope it wouldn't even flinch. I could watch the bullet swirl in and hit its mark. Each shot was 10-15 seconds each after the first one.
Shot and see the results.
All 3 never fazed him. Just stood there. Finally 4 shot was placed in the neck shoulder area and it dropped
While field dressing the bull I saw that all 3 boiler room shots had penciled through both lungs and exited with a wound approximately like the entrance

You are describing the exact reason I will never shoot at an elk with less than a 30 cal. I can't tell others what to do but I just don't get it. The older I get the more I love these animals and they deserve better. I think 6.5s and 7s are fine for deer sized game and smaller. Elk and larger game need a bigger bullet for quicker more ethical kills.

180 Berger. Trust me they all will fail. This one entered right lung and stopped left side just under hide in the shoulder. Elk did a 180 turn and put the second in left lung and it was over. 100yards distance
C29D94DE-6B20-4178-A606-0BEF4FDDDD98.jpeg

Attachments

• A9812A3F-4027-450C-B6D4-09198241C8F0.jpeg
    A9812A3F-4027-450C-B6D4-09198241C8F0.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 193
  • D9514B86-81B5-4D76-89ED-72AB0BB3773C.jpeg
    D9514B86-81B5-4D76-89ED-72AB0BB3773C.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
I agree with Ryan. I've never had a problem with them. Especially the 180's. I"m curious also how the hit was. Was all of the bullets in the lot like this. This made me go look at a 500 count box and I couldn't find one like your described. If that's the case document it and call Berger, I bet they would assist.
The hits were absolutely good. Quartering Broadside. Through both lungs
Yes "most all of the bullets" in this lot were "bad". 500 bullets separated by weight. The largest group (378) being plus or minus 1 grain from 180.1 grains
I have tried to contact Berger with this problem. No response after a week. Why I waited to post. Like I said I'm not bashing them. I use a lot of their bullets in different rigs.
This 7saum has taken dozens of animals with this bullet and the 180 eldm's. One cow elk at 1149 yards with the 180 hybrid in fact. I was just trying to inform others of my experiences

Last edited:
The hits were absolutely good
Broadside. Through both lungs
Yes "most all of the bullets" in this lot were "bad"
I have tried to contact Berger with this problem. No response after a week. Why I waited to post. Like I said I'm not bashing them. I use a lot of their bullets in different rigs.
This 7saum has taken dozens of animals with this bullet and the 180 eldm's. One cow elk at 1149 yards with the 180 hybrid in fact. I was just trying to inform others of my experiences

I know it would be hard could you take a pic of the clogged tips. I'd like to see them. I'm going through quite a few of them looking

I know it would be hard could you take a pic of the clogged tips. I'd like to see them. I'm going through quite a few of them looking
When the tips are clogged you can not reach the lead with a pointy object like a drill bit. It is pretty obvious when you find one but like I said I have never cleaned a single Berger and have had zero issues. I refuse to do anything to them.

Wow!
You were able to recover it
All 3 of the lung shots penciled through on this bull so no bullet recovery
So not any copper jacket? The lead almost always "pencils" through on Bergers. The jacket is what usually puts the animals down. I know I was not there but the chances that three bullets did not expand are astronomical. I have seen too many people call the lead core exiting "penciling". I would say roughly 75% of my kills with Bergers the jacket disintegrates and the lead core penetrates all the way through.