180 Berger Hybrid vs VLD 7MM

Rogmay

Anyone have real life experience between these two bullets for hunting applications, I currently shoot the 168 VLD's, getting 2975fps with 70gr retumbo out of a 24" tube in my Tikka, but I have a rifle coming with a twist rate to handle the 180's, I talked to a guy that swears the Hybrid is the best hunting bullet out there, mix between the VLD & hunter Classic! Your thoughts if you've used these would be appreciated! I got a smoking deal on a Cooper 7mm with a 1:9 twist in a 26" tube, also what kind of accuracy and speed are you getting! Is 3000fps achievable?

Ive shot the 180s for a few years. 180 180 hybrid was a little slicker than the vld (shorter bearing surface). I achieved 3050 in a 28" barrel with the hybrids and 2975 with the vlds in a 26".

Ive shot animals with both ranging from deer to moose and they both performed great. The bc of both are excellent so i say whichever shoots best for you take it and run.

Here's my numbers with all three bullets (168VLD, 180 VLD and 180 Hybrid) from a custom built M70 7mm Rem Mag Match, with a 25" Rock Creek barrel, Nosler custom brass and RL33.

All speeds were achieved with the exact same die settings, and exact same powder charge. All bullets performed at .4-.5 MOA and I got just around 1200 rounds before accuracy opened up to about 1 MOA.
Used 100 pieces of brass for all 1200 rounds and it's still going strong.

168 VLD - 3030 FPS (RL33 is not ideal for this bullet because you run out of capacity well before pressure signs are seen)
180 VLD - 3105 FPS
180 Hybrid - 3066 FPS

All have killed with essentially the same terminal performance.

C_Bass, it looks like you've had good luck with RL-33, I haven't shot that powered yet, just read about it, it also looks like your getting some pretty good velocities. I'm shooting Retumbo with the 168's in a 24" tube getting just under 3000 fps! How's the temp. stability with RL-33, I'm sure you shoot in some pretty cold weather also!

Im running the 180 hybrids @3100 fps out of a 26" Brux in 7mm Rem Mag with Retumbo

Cowboy, thats nice to see those velocities, I'll be stoked to get at least 3000fps, thanks for the response!

I'm aware this is an old post, but I too am very interested to see if others are having great luck with the 180 hybrid. I would love to see some recipes using retumbo and the hybrid. I'm getting ready to build a 7mag and am also wondering how much free bore guys are running to achieve said velocities.

I have killed 2 bull elk with the 180 hybrids. They did exactly what I wanted in 1 shot. I use 70.5gr rotumbo. Since the Mag of my M70 is short I have the bullets out as far as the Mag well allows to cycle without jams. Coincidently this has been set at .002" off the lands of my lija barrel. On neck sized brass I am getting 1/2moa and 3030fps.
Hope this helps

180 Hybrids over 70.8 grains of Retumbo has been lethal out of my 7 mag. Running 3020 fps. Taken 16 animals with this combination including 4 large pigs and 3 aoudad Rams this Fall.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.