7mm SAUM or WSM using 168 & 180 Bergers

R.C.Saul

Which is better for 1000 yards? I will be handloading so brass is no problem. It will be for everything from coyotes to moose and bears.

I chose the SAUM because it can basically match the WSM but with less powder. Less powder = better barrel life and cheaper to reload. Most people would pick the WSM, of course I like doing things that most people don't do.

I forgot to mention I will be building it on a rem 700 long action so the seating depth wont be a problem either.

While I have always been intrigued by the 7 WSM, my vote would be for the SAUM as I believe it has a longer neck for those bigger bullets....

Depends on your priorities. The SAUM is almost as fast as the WSM, and it does it with less powder.

The question is does the almost matter to you? The difference is greater with heavy bullets which is why I am building a WSM instead of the SAUM.

Both are good; but I'll go with the 7mm RSAUM'...., if it's all about the case, it wins.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.