7mm wsm and 168 Bergers

jbroadnax

I having the toughest time getting my rifle shoot shoot them consistently. I know the rifle is built. I know I am capable of shooting tiny little groups. Anybody got any favorite concoctions for the 7wsm and Bergers 168's? Please share.

Last edited:
I have started using them in my 7mm rem mag.

I seat them so there is a faint mark on the proj when I chamber a round and then eject it. I assume I am about 0.01" into the lands. I just went up in powder until I hit the velocity i wanted and then shot a group, first group was 0.5" at 100 yds, so called it good.

Berger has a sticky in the reloading forum http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...accuracy-berger-vld-bullets-your-rifle-40204/ about the seating depths to try, anything from 0.01 in to the lands right out to 0.12 off the lands, one should work.

Stu

kiwi and winmag are right, often the answer to accuracy problems with the VLD bullets is seating depth. In the case of the 7mm 168, you also have the issue of having a fast enough twist in your barrel. Although Berger's recommended minimum is a 10 twist, 9 would probably be better.

I love the 168's in my 7WSM. I am using just enough H1000 to get right at 3000 fps with the VLD just kissing the lands. I've been shooting quite a lot of long range stuff lately.....anywhere from 500 to 1000 yards and they are performing very well. I honestly think they buck the wind even better than what Exbal prints out.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.