Question for those using 180 Bergers in a 7mm WSM

Murphy's Law

Guys

I'm in the planning stages of a new light weight rifle for LR mountain hunting. It will be a 7mm WSM and I want to use the 180 gr bergers at 2900 - 3000 fps as my standard load.

I don't want a detachable mag - the rifle will either have a blind mag like an ADL, or it will have an aftermarket hinged floor plate. I will probably use a centre feed mag box.

I'm trying to judge whether one of the Rem clone short/WSM actions would be long enough to work with this combination, or would a long action be more suitable/a more flexible alternative?

Thanks for your help with this.

Cheers.

Murph.

Short action should be fine with an extended mag box. I have a custom 7wsm on a stiller action with a Wyatt ext. mag box. I am able to get to the lans but I did let Tim McWhorter know I wanted to shoot these bullets before he chambered the barrel. I am getting 2800fps out of a 24" barrel.

I have more then one 7WSM, and they all run the berger 180s at or over 2,900 fps.

One rifle is a Surgeon short action and depending upon the barrel that I have installed, uses an AI 308 length magazine or is single fed. She will run 2,900+ from a magaizine and a 26" tube when loaded to 2.90," with the Berger 180s, but that is a stout load of RL-25 or H4831SC in my rifle. When single fed with a long-throated reamer and OALs over 3.25" she gets to 2,900+ with the Berger 180s at close to nominal pressures with RL-25, H1000, H4831SC.

My other rfile is an F-Class single shot Barnard action and 30" tube, throated to seat teh berger 180s way out...OAL over 3.2."

I prefer the Long action approach to the world if you need 2,900 fps on teh Berger 180. Its easer to set up the freebore that you want and get to 2,900+ fps.

JeffVN

I have a new 7mm 300WSM with a 28 inch barrel with an extended freebore.

The rifle really likes the Berger 180 gr Hunting Match VLD bullets with H4381sc, Norma Brass and Federal GM215M Primers. With the extended freebore, I have no problem seating the bullet .020" into the lands with plenty of case volume to produce +3000 fps velocities.

This combination can produce 3100 fps with the beginning of some pressure problem. Backing the charge down to 2950 fps is giving about a 0.25 MOA verticle spread in ladder testing at 300 yards.

Thank you "308 Nate".

Last edited:
I know this topic is getting old but I would like to hear what powder charges you guys are using with the 3.25ish seating depth.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.