7mm SAUM or WSM using 168 & 180 Bergers

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by R.C.Saul, Sep 6, 2009.

1. R.C.Saul

R.C.Saul Well-Known Member

Which is better for 1000 yards? I will be handloading so brass is no problem. It will be for everything from coyotes to moose and bears.

2. JARHEAD1371

JARHEAD1371 Well-Known Member

I chose the SAUM because it can basically match the WSM but with less powder. Less powder = better barrel life and cheaper to reload. Most people would pick the WSM, of course I like doing things that most people don't do.

3. AZShooter

AZShooter Well-Known Member

4. R.C.Saul

I agree and was leaning toward the SAUM also.

5. R.C.Saul

I forgot to mention I will be building it on a rem 700 long action so the seating depth wont be a problem either.

6. fireroad

fireroad Well-Known Member

While I have always been intrigued by the 7 WSM, my vote would be for the SAUM as I believe it has a longer neck for those bigger bullets....

7. Forester

Forester Well-Known Member

Depends on your priorities. The SAUM is almost as fast as the WSM, and it does it with less powder.

The question is does the almost matter to you? The difference is greater with heavy bullets which is why I am building a WSM instead of the SAUM.

8. 436

436 Well-Known Member

Both are good; but I'll go with the 7mm RSAUM'...., if it's all about the case, it wins.