7mm-08: Heavy bullets & sporter barrels

therifleman556

I'm in the process of working up an accurate load for my 22" M70 Extreme Weather using the 162 grain ELDx. I won't be hunting with it, I just ordered 200 of them because Midway had them on clearance for $19/box and I figured they would do well enough for some plinking out to 500 yards. My question is; what kinds of velocities should I expect from a sporter length barrel? Based on Nosler load data (I like their layout and listing load densities) I'm looking to use RL15 or RL19. I also have Varget and 414 I could work with.
RL19 shows the greatest velocity potential, but the test data is for a 26" barrel. That normally wouldn't bother me but it's shown as almost 110% load density. Should I go ahead and work up a load with it, or is that slow of a powder a waste in a sporter length barrel?
Any insight is appreciated.

I'm sure there is better powders out there, I'm trying to work with what is available locally though. I'd rather not pay hazmat for a couple pounds of powder, and I'm not in a position to order an 8 pounder either. My other choice for local stuff would be IMR 4350

using a 22" bbl with the 162 ELD-x

RL17 , 2720fps 103% casefill
H 414 ,2670 fps , 102% (same as W760 powder)
RL15 , 2620 fps , 97%
IMR4350 , 2593 fps , 106%
RL19 , 2660fps , 112% this would discourage me from wanting to use this powder , low velocity and can't get enough in the case without a hassle .
I try to work with 105% max , on case fill

414 gets more accurate as you get to max pressure and is on the low side of pressure vs case fill. Rl16 has shown some very high velocities compared to 17 in small cases.
In your list of powders Id try 414 first then Rl15. With a 4350 of some flavor next.

Thanks for running the numbers. I might have to ask the local store if they can get 17 for me with one of their usual shipments. Might try 414 too. Can I expect these to be max velocities that can be worked up to or are there other variables like case capacity and seating depth that have to be accounted for?

Thanks for running the numbers. I might have to ask the local store if they can get 17 for me with one of their usual shipments. Might try 414 too. Can I expect these to be max velocities that can be worked up to or are there other variables like case capacity and seating depth that have to be accounted for?

yes , these would be max load velocities , and max load case fill % . I just used all the default settings for the 7-08 . you should be able to get close to these velocities . as always start low and work up watching for pressure .

I forgot varget , and RL16 was mentioned .

varget , 2583fps , 99.6%
RL16 , 2702fps , 110.5%

usually when guys talk 7-08's someone mentions hunter powder .
hunter , 2679 fps , 107.8%

I guess my reasoning for going with a high load-density powder like RL19 is because I'm seating the bullets longer than what most manuals list for tested oal. The thought was that it would be less likely to run into trouble with a powder that runs over 100% load density when I start going over book max to make up for the added capacity.

I'm in the process of working up an accurate load for my 22" M70 Extreme Weather using the 162 grain ELDx. I won't be hunting with it, I just ordered 200 of them because Midway had them on clearance for $19/box and I figured they would do well enough for some plinking out to 500 yards. My question is; what kinds of velocities should I expect from a sporter length barrel? Based on Nosler load data (I like their layout and listing load densities) I'm looking to use RL15 or RL19. I also have Varget and 414 I could work with.
RL19 shows the greatest velocity potential, but the test data is for a 26" barrel. That normally wouldn't bother me but it's shown as almost 110% load density. Should I go ahead and work up a load with it, or is that slow of a powder a waste in a sporter length barrel?
Any insight is appreciated.
Sporter is the barrel's contour (diameter & shape), not the length. Length is just length. Length will only determine velocity...Powder charges are not barrel length specific, it is based on bullet weight & cartridge capacity and design.

That said, I would go with Varget for powder option, as it's the most proven temp stable, and consistent from my experiences.

I got a little 414 left to burn before my good brass shows up. I'll try a trio of charges with it to see what it may hold in store. Darn chronograph battery was dead today when I was doing preliminary testing with RL15 and I didn't have a spare, perfect overcast day no less... Got decent groups though, best one came in about 3/4".

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts