7mm 08 bullets

Been using the 7mm-08 for a long long time now and for the lighter bullets I agree the 120gr Ballistic tips shoot really good and the Sierra 120gr Prohunters as well. The 120gr Ballistic Tip is the bullet that shoots best in my wife's rifle, 0.20" groups.

The Sierra 100gr Varmints are also very accurate, under quarter MOA groups as well.

Mine likes the139gr SST better and Interlocks too.

On both rifles140gr Sierra Gamekings and Prohunters shoot cloverleaf groups as well. 140gr Accubonds also shoot great under half MOA. I have not tried any 130gr bullets in a while.

On the heavier side the 150gr Sierra Matchkings with IMR-4350 are crazy accurate, I use these for Silhouette competition.

Several 160gr and 162gr bulleta also shoot really good on both rifles.
Sounds to me like you've been blessed with a couple of very accurate rifles, and they seem to digest bullets of different weights well. That's a beautiful thing. Are they sensitive about different burning rates of the powders you've tried ?

Sounds to me like you've been blessed with a couple of very accurate rifles, and they seem to digest bullets of different weights well. That's a beautiful thing. Are they sensitive about different burning rates of the powders you've tried ?

Oh they can be picky sometimes, my Silhouette rifle likes IMR-4350 with both 150gr and 168gr Sierra HPBT Matchkings, no other powder works as good. H4350 did not work, or either of the 4895's, does not like RL's either.

My wife's and my hunting rifle are identical, same model Rem 700 and they have not been very picky, at least not yet, it just took time to find the right powder and bullet match up. They both digest the 120gr, 139gr and 140gr bullets very well with a couple bullets under quarter MOA and another couple under half MOA and all with IMR-4064 so that worked out pretty well

An old Sako I had was very picky but when we did find a load it shot 140gr and 160gr Partitions bullets very well.

I haven't tried a lot of heavier bullets on these last 2 rifles but that's the plan for this fall. I did load some 150gr Ballistic Tips with IMR-4895 and will with IMR-4350 for one rifle as I mentioned before, and plan on loading some 162gr AMax I have left for the other one. We'll see how that goes.

I'm waiting for new glasses to arrive so I can shoot a group of test loads with IMR4350-H4350-RL 15-IMR4064-and Varget. Setting up a new 7mm-08 criterion barrel on a varmint build. Will post up in a few days hopefully, I did this in a 7mm-08 deer rifle with a 20" McGowen and the IMR4350 was better than the other four, we'll see what they all do in a 26" barrel.

I'm waiting for new glasses to arrive so I can shoot a group of test loads with IMR4350-H4350-RL 15-IMR4064-and Varget. Setting up a new 7mm-08 criterion barrel on a varmint build. Will post up in a few days hopefully, I did this in a 7mm-08 deer rifle with a 20" McGowen and the IMR4350 was better than the other four, we'll see what they all do in a 26" barrel.

What bullets are you trying out? On 26" and 28" barrels IMR-4350 has always worked well for me, my guess is H4350 will as well. Best of luck!

my one 7-08 has a 24" broughton bbl , it's usually about a half moa rifle . the only thing I've shot with it are targets , and ground hogs . I shoot 140 Berger H-vld 's , RL17 powder , norma brass , cci200 primer . the velocity I use is 3080 FPS .
target shot at 200 yards . the stray hole I have marked as pulled is from another bullseye beside this one .
P8140530.JPG

this is shot from 1000 yards , it's about 5.5" . a couple of us got together shooting , and we shot the same target . I shot first is why my holes are taped over . I shot high this day . I'm not sure if I dialed wrong , or missed my dope .
P1220030.JPG

velocity .

P8201853.JPG

My 7mm08 loads look like this:
120 Nosler Ballistic Tip over 50 grains Ramshot Big Game
140 Nosler Accubond over 47 grains Big Game
Tula LRM primers in both

getting ready to try the 150 grain Nosler ABLR and the Lapua Scenar.

Wife's Tikka T3X- Varget and 140g AB......very accurate (.6moa), not too fast, but deadly....6 shots....six dead African critters.....Kudu, Gemsbok, Zebra, Springbok, Impala, Blesbok.

My comp gun- Stiller/Bartlien- 162g ELD-X H-4350, 2810fps, (.5MOA) LR to 1K matches.

LVJ76 will be testing with all 140AB's its what I had the most of. I in 9" twist in both barrels just different lengths. I did just find about 50 139gr hornady innerbonds, forgot I had them :)

LVJ76 will be testing with all 140AB's its what I had the most of. I in 9" twist in both barrels just different lengths. I did just find about 50 139gr hornady innerbonds, forgot I had them :)

Nice and hope they shoot good. Let me know how the Interbonds work out, I have a few of them but haven't tried any loads with them yet. Thanks Sir.

What are your opinions on the 120 Ballistic Tip vs 120 Pro Hunter performance on whitetails?

How about the 140 VLD? At 7-08 velocity would it still be good up close?

I just started reloading and will be loading for 3 different 7-08's. Have not purchased any powders, but thinking Varget so I can use in 308 Win and in a pinch for 223 Rem (currently using Benchmark).

Thanks

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.