Need a 7mm-08 Bullet

17Fireball

Looking for a bullet to load for a Tikka T3 Lite for groundhogs out to 1,000 yards and deer 30 to 300 yards. Any suggestions?

Groundhogs out to a grand for a 7mm-08...........That's a pretty tough question.

Nosler 140 or 160 Accubond could work.

Berger 168 VLD would definitely carry that far for groundhogs, and would definitely work for most everything else between and 30-300 yards.

Amax? Read it is decent as a deer killer just not sure if it would be any good on deer inside 100.

I believe these heavier bullets are suited to more case capacity. These smaller efficient cases are really great performers with the 120 gr bullets like the 120 gr ballistic tip. Back it up with the new CFE223 powder and you have a great performer!:)

I believe these heavier bullets are suited to more case capacity. These smaller efficient cases are really great performers with the 120 gr bullets like the 120 gr ballistic tip. Back it up with the new CFE223 powder and you have a great performer!:)

+1

One of my favorite cartridges for all use is the 7/08. I, like most on this site like bigger bullets
But for best performance I found that with the case capacity of the 7/08 the 120 grain bullets
worked better than all others. (I know, It goes against logic but that has been my experiences
with it).

I also found the The 120 grain ballistic tip top all other bullets in accuracy and performance.

The 7/08 cam push the 120 from 3000 to 3100 ft/sec with out over loading. To date the most
accurate loads I have found are= 49.5 grains of H 414 and CCI BR2 primers. (One problem is
that this powder is Ball powder and heat sensitive).

The fastest powder with the best accuracy has been 45.3 grains of Varget (Not heat sensitive)
with the same primer.

In my custom pistol I have taken deer in excess of 500 yards with this combination and in rifle
form 700+ yards.

I am sure there are other powders that will do the job, but I am convinced that the 120 ballistic
tip is the best bullet for the 7/08.

J E CUSTOM

I load the 140 Nosler BT for my son's savage 7-08 with varget. He shot this group yesterday at 400 yards. This was the second time he shot past 100

Attachments

• IMG_0317.jpg
    IMG_0317.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 116
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.