Sporter barrel in a Heavy Sporter Stock?

Shootin4fun

I have an X-bolt that has a sporter barrel. I'm considering changing stocks, and looking at a stock inletted for a heavy sporter. I'm wondering if there would be a problem with this.
It seems like it would work since it's a floated barrel anyway so wouldn't there just be a slightly larger gap between the barrel and stock?

I have an X-bolt that has a sporter barrel. I'm considering changing stocks, and looking at a stock inletted for a heavy sporter. I'm wondering if there would be a problem with this.
It seems like it would work since it's a floated barrel anyway so wouldn't there just be a slightly larger gap between the barrel and stock?
I'm not a gunsmith and know-just enough to be danerous .
But if the gap ends up to wide and gets leaves and twigs and other stuff caught in it, you could re free float it ?
I might be more worried about the width, than the depth .

But wait, I am sure that guys that do that stuff can tell you and me if it will work , or not , I'm curious also.
By the way are you hunting with the rifle?

Last edited:
But have not hunted with it yet. It is very accurate. I've shot mostly Bergers. It is an Eclipse stock and I've decided I want to move away from the thumbhole. So restock rather than sell. It's currently at 9.5lbs with a Viper PST G2 5-25 so I'm hoping to drop some weight as well.

It will be fine. Just a little bigger gap. Not much difference between sporter and heavy sporter anyway. My beat around/pickup gun has a sporter barrel in a stock ment for sendero contour. Ugly but i don't really care because of what it is.

You can epoxy bond the foreman like bedding and action. Made sure you get the release agent and use correctly. Then you float the barrel. You may have to take some of the forearm out first to get pass the finish inside the stock for bonding. You can order the bonding agent from Brownell or Midway.

IIRC the difference between the barrels (at the bore end) is .630 vs .660, which would be less in the stock gap. That would be .015" each side at MOST. A human hair or normal writing paper is three-thousandths. Put five together and you will be dealing with a bit less in gap each side. Not much.
Some factory guns and modern "tactical" stocks have more than that. I actually have opened several of my more flimsy fore end stocks up to more than that for safe clearance off a front rest, and they are very good shooters with no issues.
Heck, the TC Dimension rifles probably had .030" gap each side with their sporter barrel, and I have one that is an abosulte tack driver that I hunted whitetails and antelope with quite a bit... with 600+ yard kills and no problems with debris in the barrel chanel.
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it a bit.

Last edited:
Krylon and a sponge...

Attachments

• Gen2completion 011.JPG
    Gen2completion 011.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Gen2completion 012.JPG
    Gen2completion 012.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 64
A big gap is a good thing. Any crap that happens to slip in there usually falls out on its own and if not you don't have to pull the rifle apart to clean it out if it needs a little help.

I bought the wrong B&C stock for a Rem 700 and could probably fit 20 bills between the stock and barrel. Shot great, but I ended up selling it because I didn't like the look. Did not think about bedding the barrel channel.

Recent Posts