Shilen heavy sporter?

emn83

So, because of the fine folks on this forum, I have been thinking about upgrading the barrel on my Savage .308, and wanted something a little heavier than my current stock sporter barrel.
I need a medium weight barrel, because the Stockade stock I have on order is only really works for light to meduim barrels. Kevin at Stockade tole me that the Shilen heavy sporter would be fine and not require any modification to the stock I have.

So, to make a long story short, does anyone have experience with this Shilen barrel or have a suggestion of a barrel with a similar profile: 26in length and .685in diameter at the muzzle?

I don't have anything against Shilen barrels, I have a couple myself, but if you don't want to wait on a barrel. Brunos has Krieger barrels in stock. Might make your upgrade time a little less.
Tarey

I don't have anything against Shilen barrels, I have a couple myself, but if you don't want to wait on a barrel. Brunos has Krieger barrels in stock. Might make your upgrade time a little less.
Tarey

thanks for the info, I'll check them out. I was mainly looking at Shilen, and Mcgowen...because they have Savage pre-fit barrels

So, because of the fine folks on this forum, I have been thinking about upgrading the barrel on my Savage .308, and wanted something a little heavier than my current stock sporter barrel.
I need a medium weight barrel, because the Stockade stock I have on order is only really works for light to meduim barrels. Kevin at Stockade tole me that the Shilen heavy sporter would be fine and not require any modification to the stock I have.

So, to make a long story short, does anyone have experience with this Shilen barrel or have a suggestion of a barrel with a similar profile: 26in length and .685in diameter at the muzzle?
I have a #6 Shilen that is 28" long and is built on a Winchester action. It is a tack driver...