7-08 (AI) a viable option?

bbckfh

All,

I have a Browning X-Bolt LR Stalker sitting in the safe, currently chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor on a McMillan Game Scout.

I really like Brownings. Their feature set (60* bolt, bolt lock, detachable rotary mag, M16 extractor) really appeal to me. The triggers have always been light and crisp enough for me.

That being said, the issues with this one: A) the barrel is 26", and B) I have several other 6.5 Creedmoors. (FYI: I also have a 6.5 PRC being finished, and an M70 Fwt in .30-06.)

The good about this one: with factory Federal or Hornady ammunition, it's a laser and I've gotten from .38-1.1 MOA consistently. Mostly around .89MOA.

However, I am considering tinkering. I have a call out to my gunsmith, but am currently overseas. I have a Brux .284" 1:8 #3 barrel in the basement, waiting to get used.

So, LA calibers like 7mm RM, 280AI, 280 are out. I could do SA, like 7SS, 7WSM, 7-08, 7-08AI. .284WIN isn't really a viable option between the limits of the Browning magazine (although they are long enough to fit my 6.5PRC rounds @ a COAL of 2.950" - I've done that at home with an extra WSM magazine) and the lack of factory ammunition that would provide any material benefit over one of the other more-common options.

Goals: suppressed hunting, both in Michigan for deer as well as out west for elk/muleys. In Michigan the average deer is taken at ~35 yards (for this, I usually use my 6.5cm with the 19" barrel). Out west, my personal absolute (perfect round, perfect conditions) comfort level is likely 750 yards; I'd like to stalk closer. I have no problems hitting steel at 1k, but I can't personally see shooting much beyond that (not the intent of this question) on game. I don't yet reload (would love to, but too many hobbies already). I'm not above paying for good ammunition from Hammer or Copper Creek. I don't often fly, and have other common calibers, so the availability of over-the-counter ammunition at every mom-and-pop store for this one is less critical.

So I am considering re-chambering it to 6.5 PRC, since the original barrel shoots well and at that time just cutting it back to 24", versus perhaps re-barreling it to 7mm-something.

Were I to choose 7-08 or 7-08AI, I could retain the same bolt-face. Were I to go with one of the magnums, I'd have to change that, but I could get a lot more "oomph" and security in range. My .30-06 is currently my choice for upcoming moose, but a 7mm would be appropriate as well, giving me redundant options - an argument against building another 6.5 PRC.

I've looked into various options, and a 140-grain-class bullet would likely suffice at my distance, especially a Hammer Hunter. Maybe it runs out of steam (1500 ft-lbs) before 750? The Sherman Short or RemMag would likely be the best option for the 160+ class bullets, whereas a 7-08 is likely limited to the 140-class anyway. The Hammer Hunter is 1.39" long, whereas the ELD-X is 1.4" long, so those would both be possibilities.

If one chooses the ballistics of the 7mmRM as a benchmark, you're looking at a 160-class at ~2950 fps. So, the 7-08 in stock form (same Precision Hunter ammunition) is listed at 2,770 fps for a 150 gr ELD-X. This is a loss of 500 ft-lbs.

From reading old threads, most guys were pushing the 7-08AI at 3000+ with the 140s:
Kenny Jarrett sez this on his Pet Calibers page:
The 7mm-08 Ackley Improved has been very popular with us for many years. Most importantly, it provides high end .280 Remington performance in a short action receiver. Most of our 7mm-08 Imp. rifles have a fairly short barrel, usually no longer than 20", yet we get an honest 3050 f.p.s. with a 140 gr. bullet, and 3150 feet per second with a 120 gr. The original .308 case has been transformed into many kinds of nice cartridges. I believe that the 7mm-08 Ackley Improved is at the top of the heap. We have tuned several for 160 gr. Nosler Partitions for African hunts and hear nothing but praise for their performance. Bullets striking animals at 100 to 200 yards at 7mm-08 velocities will show perfect performance every time. Perfect for whitetail, it is one wildcat that deserved to be born! I like its performance, which is best with a 20" barrel.

That may be aggressive or wishful thinking, but seems to duplicate the .280AI and/or the 7mm RM.

Now, nobody makes factory 7-08AI, but there's where Hammer/Copper Creek would come into play. Then the argument with myself: if I'm willing to go that route, then why not just a mild load on a 7SS? At that point the only real benefit to the 7-08 is A) no need to change my current bolt-face, and B) I could still fire an off-the-shelf 7mm-08 (assuming I don't have the 6.5cm or '06 as a backup). The 7mm WSM carries the drawback of requiring a new bolt-face, but the benefit of factory ammo here (150 gr. GMX) or here (162 gr. ELD-X).

As the distance stretches beyond 500 yards through to the 700-range, then the need for higher-BC/heavier bullets like the 175+ comes into play. There, the 7SS shines and the rest kinda trail away. The 7WSM is likely the best option there, and the 7-08AI likely can't even keep up? But the 7WSM shows the highest factory loads only in the 160-grain class, except for Copper Creek who loads the 175 and 180 Berger hunting VLDs.

So... Am I dreaming that the 7mm-08 or 7mm-08AI would even meet my needs for the 700-yard range?

At the end of the day, I think it comes down to what my gunsmith tells me is the availability to change over or open up the bolt, and the need for factory ammunition (7-08 or 7WSM) vs custom ammunition (7SS or 7-08AI). Or, I could consider selling it. At that point, I could just buy the 7mm-whatever in a new configuration (ex: https://www.browning.com/products/f...-bolt-stalker-a-tacs-au-suppressor-ready.html).

7 A.I. is a great round! The only reason not to do it would be if you wanted more punch for out west. In that case, the 7 ss will give you 2900' with a 180 in a 20" barrel. People are running the 145 Badlands at 3300+ with a 21".

7 A.I. is a great round! The only reason not to do it would be if you wanted more punch for out west. In that case, the 7 ss will give you 2900' with a 180 in a 20" barrel. People are running the 145 Badlands at 3300+ with a 21".

Rich, I've been impressed with the logic and purpose-of-design of your cartridges for some time. The only thing holding me back has been the reloading bit. But even then I could find people I'm sure to do that for me (Hammer or Copper Creek), even on an interim basis before I started reloading.

So, 7-08AI vs 7SS really boils down to which bolt face I can find, how much energy I need (faster speed and ability to support the >160s), and whether I want the fallback of the regular 7-08 in times of need.

Rich, I've been impressed with the logic and purpose-of-design of your cartridges for some time. The only thing holding me back has been the reloading bit. But even then I could find people I'm sure to do that for me (Hammer or Copper Creek), even on an interim basis before I started reloading.

So, 7-08AI vs 7SS really boils down to which bolt face I can find, how much energy I need (faster speed and ability to support the >160s), and whether I want the fallback of the regular 7-08 in times of need.
Long Way brass will load 7ss ammo for you and so does Axial Precision

Don't rule out the 284 Win. Even with an OAL of 2.850" it will have more usable case capacity than a 7/08 Imp.

Run the #s on a 7-08 AI with 168 Bergers, it's no joke.

Very true. I shoot the 168 Bergers out of a 19" barreled specialty pistol in 284 Win and get 2720 fps. This should be very close to the numbers you'd get from a 22-24" 7/08 improved. I'd be very comfortable using that load out to 750 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.