308 vs 7-08 (or other options)

SAW has quality dies and quality brass from alpha. If you want to be different it would be the route I go.

Out to 500 yards it doesn't really matter what you chamber it in.

Only requirement would be to post pictures here later so we can all admire it.

Do something a bit different, make it a 358 Winchester. A 200g RN SGK at 2700fps is a serious hunting round but 500yds would be a long shot: deadly at 300yds. 308 brass to 358 is just a resize in the die, no fire form, trimming or such. BUT the 308 will do it all.

I'd do an 18-inch (though I'd prefer a 20) 9-twist 7mm-08. I currently have a 20-inch Model Seven in 7mm-08 and it is a sweet shooter.

I shot .30-06 and .308 for years, but since moving to 6, 6.5, and 7 mm short actions, I no longer own a .30 caliber rifle.

Short barrel, stick with standard Rem 7mm08. Long barrel, stick with standard Rem 7mm08. I've never seen or heard of much gain by going any other way and short barrel makes it even more of a moot point.

Like one other post said...cut down the factory barrel, you might be surprised and if not you didn't spend a bunch of money. I mean unless you are doing something fancy with the short barrel you are buying. Often even a factory barrel will shoot real good when they are short. (about 3/4moa and maybe as little as 1/2moa with hand loads)

I've done a few short barrel .308s and one 7-08. Love how compact they are especially in the encore platform. Usually put a low power 2-7 ziess on them since they don't get shot out past 500 and more often than not end up in brush. That is the reason I kind of lean towards the .308 because its easy to load up a heavy round nose bullet for brush and then also have a light 150 tipped bullet that will do 500 yards. Either way super fun if you don't mind a rifle that is a "little jumpy" compared to its 22-24 inch counter parts.

BUT if you are really looking for some fun in a short barrel, I'm leaning towards doing a 6.5grendel in a short light bolt action rifle with an adjustable stock. Hoping to keep the recoil down and then have it for a youth rifle too.

I probably should have mentioned it will be run suppressed 99% of the time. and I'm not willing to buy a suppressor larger than my Omega 300 ( at least not right now) .
Likely will run a Proof carbon barrel and a Manners stock and have the R700 action blueprinted.

Sounds like you already know what you want barrel wise. Since you are planning on running suppressed I think standard 308 would be about as good as it gets. Tons of brass options, Lapua, ADG, Norma etc. Very large range of bullet and ammo options.
Whatever happens 308 will survive.

Sounds like you already know what you want barrel wise. Since you are planning on running suppressed I think standard 308 would be about as good as it gets. Tons of brass options, Lapua, ADG, Norma etc. Very large range of bullet and ammo options.
Whatever happens 308 will survive.

I'd say you are correct. I just wanted to test the waters to see if I was missing a caoliber that performs as well or better in the short barrels.

I probably should have mentioned it will be run suppressed 99% of the time. and I'm not willing to buy a suppressor larger than my Omega 300 ( at least not right now) .

I'd say 308 is a no brainer then. If you ever wanna run truly quiet, the biggest bore you can get is the best, as you can chunk the really heavy pills at subsonic speeds in a bolt gun with ninja like quiet and 10 mm auto muzzle energies.

You might consider a faster twist barrel if you ever do plan to run subsonics. Something between "normal" 308 and "normal" 300 blackout perhaps? I'm guessing a 1:8 would be fine for 168-180 gr supersonic, and should adequately stabilize 220-230 gr subs.

I preffer the ballistics of the 7mm-08, it shoots a little flatter than the 308 and the recoil? What recoil.

There are tons of factory ammo options available and if handloading, just pick your poison.

I've been hunting with the 7mm-08 for over 30 years and it never disappoints.

One of the most fun guns I own is a 16.25" Encore 7-08 that in had punched to a 7-08AI to help combat the shorter barrel. I fire formed with 162 eldx at 40.5 grains of 4320 (identical burn rate as Varget) at 2470fps. Since fire forming, I'm now shooting 140 ballistic tips but haven't shot them next to the lab radar yet.

It's so much fun I've decided I'm building my Dad a short barreled 7-08AI too.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts