Thoughts on 7-08 AI

Dirtybob1

I am building a deer rifle on a Remington 700 short titanium action, 22-inch #3 contour barrel. I am considering the 7-08 and 7-08 AI, but I can't seem to find any load data for the AI. I would appreciate your thoughts, data and experiences.

The 7mm-08 will give you everything that you need in a whitetail rifle. The AI version only gives a small increase in velocity and requires that you form the brass and may have some feeding problems. I wouldn't bother.

If you just want something a bit faster than the 7mm-08 how about a 7SUAM or similar cartridge?

I agree with the options offered, assuming the rifle has to be 7mm? Personal opinion; never had much interest in a 7-08, and as you heard, there is not much to be gained by the Ackley version, to justify the trouble.

But, speaking of trouble, why not forget the whole thing and consider the 260 Rem. which is one of the standard calibers offered in the Titanium?

Yes, I don't particularly care for the 260, either, and truly do not understand why Remington is pushing it so hard, but for what you have in mind, it will kill deer.

Other than that, the 284 is a good one, too. But, there again, I think the titanium is offered in 270, and that one is good to go, right from the box.

My philosophy concerning exotic chamberings is that you have to make a real strong case before you are justified by not using a factory chambering. In other words, you need and want something that can't be had, over the counter.

Your requirements are, to be honest, quite ordinary. I see no good reason why you want to do what you propose. Other than; you WANT IT, which is okay, too.
smile.gif

Anyway, that's my thoughts. LB

Just converted a Titanium 700 7-08 to a 284. Picked up 100 - 150 fps over the 7-08. Worth it?? Only complaint is a feeding problem from the magazine because of the larger diameter case. Accuracy is great. Of course, recoil went up too. Nothing wrong with a 7-08. Use Vit 560 powder and you can push a 140 bullet at close to 2900 fps. Good luck.
wink.gif

my 7-08ai has been great to say the least--but if i had to do again i would go with the plain old 7-08-why?-feeding due to the sharp shoulder and i have slowed my rounds down about 100fps-[which brings me close to standard 7-08 velocities] . because i get better performance out of the bullets i shoot anyways.the 140g nbt has accounted for 13 elk and around 6 deer and who knows how many varnints-with kills on deer out to 600+ and on elk,out to 400+yds. the 7-08 is simply awesome on all kinds of critters,due to low recoil,high degree of accuracy[in a good rifle]and good bullets and powders to choose from,its very easy to load for-easy on barrels-what else can you ask for?-my-2-dave

Thank you all.

I wanted to use the short action and 22-inch barrel to keep the overall length of the rifle to a minimum, and make the rifle a little handier. Your comments on velocity are consistent with what I had heard; very little gain in velocity for the trouble.

I considered the .260, but I think that is a little on the light side for mule deer.

wapiti13: I would like to here more about you experience with the .284. I thought that the .284 would be too long for the mag well on a 700 SA (2.8 inches) when using 140 bullets. Not that it can't be done, but because the bullet is seated deeper, don't you end up loosing a lot of powder capacity to bullet seating?

Thanks,

Robert

"Who will guard the guards?" Bill Shakespear.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I considered the .260, but I think that is a little on the light side for mule deer.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I appreciate that, not my first choice either. But, I will share with you my experience in Africa. Limited to two guns, I took a 300Win Mag..... and a 6MM Remington, which I intended to use on caracal and jackal. Guess what? I didn't kill a single animal with the 300. Yes, the 6MM is a little light for mule deer, but I one shot a Kudu, easily as big as our elk, with the 6mm/100 gr. Sierra. And African game is as tough as they say it is; didn't have a single "bang/flop" but they were all one shot kills. Guess what my PH has? A 260, used for culling warthog and kudu.

I know it won't change your mind, but (still) food for thought.

Good luck with your choice. LB

in 7 mm short action go with 284 WIN that real IMP design and you get velocity in the 280 REM range without any fireforming or special costly die

just carefully check feeding

good shooting

DAN TEC

Gotta throw in my plug for the .284 as well. I was thinking of rechambering a 7-08 Kimber Montana to .284, but found a french walnut stocked Kimber .300 WSM that I can't pass up.
grin.gif
The .284 project will have to wait. For what it's worth, New Ultra Light Arms is reported to chamber more rifles in .284 than anything else.

I think Brownells sell the extra long magazines for the short action 700 to handle the 284 case. Only problem is maybe trying to get that long round out without notching the action for it. I think may have a problem if wanting to shoot any of the bullets like the interbond if not throated for them. I've shot the 7-08 and 284 both and by far the 284 case is a better round. I'd also build a 7-08 but shorten the case up somewhat to get rid of the extra case capacity got better velocity than a standard 7-08. If I was goint to build an AI for a 7mm it would be the 7x57AI get about what a 7 mag will do. Only real drop in velocity between the two was when I when up to a 175 gr bullet in the 7x57AI over the 7 mag. Just my .02 worth.

you are right Brownell 's make a slighty lenghend mag box wich can be fit with minor modification in REM700 receiver short to allow more "room " for WSM and 284 case lenght

good shooting

DAN TEC

The 7mm-08 will give you everything that you need in a whitetail rifle. The AI version only gives a small increase in velocity and requires that you form the brass and may have some feeding problems. I wouldn't bother.

If you just want something a bit faster than the 7mm-08 how about a 7SUAM or similar cartridge?

Don't pass up considering the 280 which is 7mm also. I think you will be impressed with the ballistics and it is a lot more impressive than the 270 winchester which is one of the most impressive rifles I have ever owned. I have a 7mm08 coming which I struggled for a long time between the 280. I made my decision based on a cheaper load which might make me use it at the range as well as in the woods. Oh, the 280 needs 4 more inches of barrel than you are wanting.

+1 for 7mm-08

I used this load for a Mule Deer/Antelope hunt several years ago in Wy. Gun is a Rem. Mtn. rifle, pencil thin barrel. Rem. case, 45.2gr IMR 4064, Hornady 139gr SST, CCI250 primer.

I checked for pressure signs all through load developement and were fine with THIS GUN.

Here are the results:

SD 10.0
MAD 7.4
ES 26.6
Avg. fps 2978 OAL 2.771

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.