6mm Remington chambering problem

wildcat westerner

Hello,

I have just gotten a Model 70 singleshot rifle, Hart barrel in a McMillan stock. It is chambered in 6mm Remington. I have over 500 used cases for this cartrudge. A tightnecked chamber, I have full length sized the case, turned the neck and the sized neck with a bullet in it is .004 smaller than the chamber.

The problem is the case, just with a bullet in it, only goes into the chamber with great effort in closing the bolt. The case will then not eject or extract. The bolt handle has to be beat open with a soft blow hammer and then the case must be beat out of the chamber with a barrel cleaning rod+ soft hammer.

I have checked all the specs for the case and the neck turning length is .001 longer that the proper neck length, so that is not the problem. I went on the Internet to find some new 6mm brass and have been unsuccesful. Dies anyone have just a few brand new cases for sale? I would appreciate any help to solve this matter.
Thanks,

Gene So

Is your die set to bump the fired case shoulder back to virtual new case headspace? i.e., the die's bottom touches the shell holder when the press ram's at the top of its stroke.

Will a new cartridge fit in the chamber?

Have you tried putting a case in without the bullet? Color a case with a sharpie. When you put it in don't force it all the way just go till you get resistance and pull it out. You'll be able to see where the sharpie rubbed off and see what's holding you up. I bet its the base. If the reamer that cut your chamber is tighter at the base of the case it'll always be tight with that brass that was used in another chamber. If thats the case you can look for a small base die. They are made for sizing the base a bit more than a standard sizing die.

Aaron

I'd start with a headspace gauge, both go and no go, factory ammo is more readily available. Failing that PM me an address, and I will send a couple of unfired cases your way. I hate to see a perfectly good 6 mm sit idle. It may take awhile for me to get it out to you, is why I suggest the other routes. Kind of a mess here. Good luck!

Re: 6mm Remington chambering problem-response

Thanks for all this valuable insight. The cases I tried were FL sized to the maximum extent and also neck tunred before attempting chambering. Since I have brass both from a standard chambered 6mm and also a .244 in 40-X, I expected problems, but nothing like this. The actual rims have been torn off by the Model 70 extractor when I attempted to get the cases out of the chamber.
I will try the felt tip method and will be contacting Midway on Monday as to 6mm Remington brass availability. If I can't get any, I will be supplying my name and address for just a few unfired cases. I do know about small base dies, have used them in the 60's for a friend's .308 auto. Anyone got one?

I look at this rifle and see all its possibilities. if I can get the cases to chamber I have already it will take only two set
of reloads and the throat will be gone. If this rifle really likes a very hot load and the cases should be tossed after just a firing, if its pristine accuracy, I could live with that. McMillan is already sending me the mounting material neded so I can fit it for a bipod. I will be using it for Coyotes, prarie dogs, and mid range target shooting (300-700 yds.) here in New Mexico. Thanks so very much
for your offers to help in this matter.
Gene S.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts