260 Remington Headspacing Problem

BitterrootBob

First of all, I am new to reloading. I have done a lot of reading and purchased more tools than I probably need. Anyway, here is my problem...I bought some new Lapua brass and it measures 1.264-1.625 to the datum.

I loaded some bullets and the once fired, fire-formed brass measures 1.629-1.630. I took an average of 12 shells for both the new and once fired brass. Now, I am trying to full length size the fired brass and know matter where I set the die, I can't come close to 1.629-1.630. The best I have been able to do is 1.6255. Most of what I have been reading says to bump the shoulder, in a bolt action .001-.002 but I can't come close to getting that much length.

This is a Remington factory chamber. And I'm using a Forster full length sizing die. Am I doing something wrong? Is my chamber too long? Any suggestions are welcomed. Maybe I can send the die back to Forster and have it custom honed. The gun is shooting well, so I don't really want to buy a new barrel right off.

if you are not shooting hot loads, all you will need to do is size the neck a bit without pushing the shoulder back. Throw away your measuring tools and do it by feel.

Set the die well above the shell holder and deprime the round. Then put it in your action without the firing pin assembly installed. If the bolt falls then load and fire again. If the bolt meets resistance then size by screwing the die down just until it takes a tiny bit of feel to close the bolt.
It is important not to have the firing pin assembly in the bolt so you can feel the case.

Stick with the measuring tools. I have seen too many "doing it by feel" ending up with the shoulders pushed way more back than needed and they did not know it because the bolt closed. Feel is 90% luck.

If your FL sizing die is not pushing the shoulder back you are basically just neck sizing. If you measure unfired brass and only once fired and size to match, you will be sizing way too much. Let the brass grow to match your chamber. That is why I size by feel and do it that way in competition also.
I couldn't tell you those lengths in the 6PPC, 30 BR and 6 Dasher but they are size just enough to close the bolt without undo pressure and the 20-50 pieces of brass will last me an entire year without splitting or annealing.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts