Savage 111 LRH 338 Lapua chambering problem?

Myself, I'm not brand loyal at all. Different tools for different jobs....

I've had issues with many brands, in fit and finish, in triggers, in loose sights, most are repairable and correctable without going to a third party.

Any firearm that goes bang (or whoosh), is made up of many components and in manufacturing, there is always sub contracted (second and third tier suppliers) producing parts for the parent company to assemble their product, heck I do it too. It's impossible or at least not financially feasible to do everything in house in today's manufacturing climate. That, coupled with the human factor causes differences in each manufactured assembly.

At leasr scopes are fairly constant in quality.....

How about faulty none-concentric chamber, I had one Savage rifle where after firing brass once it was almost impossible to cycle brass again... http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/hard-cycle-bolt-savage-target-action-74363/ it al goes to the tooling used to produce their barrel, like parting "cut-off" tool bolt was rubbing up-against them ridges on close and open I put some carbon soot from candle on the boltface to see its print...

6mmchamber1.jpg

Also chamber reamer used left ridges on the body and shoulders creating physical locks on the fired brass

6mmchamber3.jpg

I had an issue with My 110FCP, noticed some markings on the lock lug of My bolt. Turned out the front/rear pic rail mounting screw was a tad too long. Shortened the screw and problem gone. Just a thought.

what should be pointed out is that these rifles apparently ship with the scope rail separate (at least that's what the 110BA's supposedly do)... maybe they're not shipping them that way now, but it has been reported that many were shipped like that (rail off)... so the gun shops installing these rails are making the mistakes in many cases.

In one of your previous posts you said you set the die to touch the shellholder and then clockwise another 1/8th turn. You need to go counter clockwise. Back it out a half turn.

The gun is fixed! Final verdict was that the scope rail screws were too long and needed shortened. Gunsmith wouldn't take any payment, thanks again for all of the feedback. I will post load data and groups when I get that far.

Thanks,
Brandon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.