Chambering problems?

Bigcat_hunter

I just got back from the range from shooting a Sako 75 300 wsm for the first time. About one out of every three rounds was hard to fully close the bolt and to open it after firing. With one bullet I could not even close the bolt. This was a mild load but I had one case neck split on new brass. I full length sized new brass so I am wondering if it is a problem with the rifle or the ammo.

I am shooting 200 grain accubonds seated .020 off the lands using a 300 win mag magazine in a long action. I bought an after market mag so I could run the long bullets but that should not have any thing to do with the bolt closing.:mad:

If teh case neck split on new brass then it might be that the necks were not properly annealed at the factory.

If you have a concentricity gauge check the fired brass. If you don't have one then roll a couple of cases around on a table and see if they jump and bump around which will mean a bad chamber.

Most likely problem is in the FL die. If you have some brass you have not run through it yet, try chambering that brass in the rifle. If the new unsized brass chambers fine then its the die.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.