6mm chambering

LR Guru

Formerly '300NM_guru'
I have a Winchester m70 super shadow 243wssm That I shoot steel with and a loaner rifle. The barrel is shot out in it and I'm looking to put a new barrel on it. Question I have is do I keep the wssm or go for a 6mm that any barrel manufacture can chamber and save me the money on a reamer. But I'll have to change the bolt face. Any 6mm suggestions would be great.

Last edited:
Here is the list of cartridges originally chambered in that model:

1630774835271.png

You will need to know what type of box set up this rifle used since the WSSM are shorter than the standard WSM cartridges. You may need to switch out the box, spring and follower if you want to change cartridges from the WSSM.

Since the case capacities of the WSSM cartridges is similar to the .243 Win., I used to switch these out for a new .25 WSSM for quite a few hunters who favored the .25 caliber cartridges.

My vote is a 243 win or 6 creed if you need the velocity.
6 BR Norma, 6 BRA or 6 Dasher for a little lower velocity but outstanding precision.
The latter 3 may or may not work with the WSSM box.
These all need bolt face change.
Possibly 6 SAUM with magnum bolt face.

My vote is a 243 win or 6 creed if you need the velocity.
6 BR Norma, 6 BRA or 6 Dasher for a little lower velocity but outstanding precision.
The latter 3 may or may not work with the WSSM box.
These all need bolt face change.
Possibly 6 SAUM with magnum bolt face.
Ah... just realized you said any barrel manufacturer can chamber.
Some barrel companies won't chamber barrels in above mentioned cartridges but good smiths can.
That will limit possibilities.

If your not going to go the wssm route I suggest selling the whole rifle and starting over. Just seems more prudent than having to modify the bolt to make it take skinnier cartridges while modifying the magazine well/magazine etc to accept longer cartridges, assuming this super short action would be able to function as a repeater with anything longer than wssm s in the first place!

If you're attached to this action/rifle (and I totally understand that :) ) I say stick with the wssm OR more interesting and less practice, turn it into a dedicated single feed affair and chamber it for a wildcat if you handload, notably the 6 mm wsm, 6mm Saum, or as @Andrew Massi stated, the 6mm prc.

something tells me a 69 grain absolute hammer out of a .270 wsm necked down to 6mm might occupy a truly unique performance niche.

If your not going to go the wssm route I suggest selling the whole rifle and starting over. Just seems more prudent than having to modify the bolt to make it take skinnier cartridges while modifying the magazine well/magazine etc to accept longer cartridges, assuming this super short action would be able to function as a repeater with anything longer than wssm s in the first place!

If you're attached to this action/rifle (and I totally understand that :) ) I say stick with the wssm OR more interesting and less practice, turn it into a dedicated single feed affair and chamber it for a wildcat if you handload, notably the 6 mm wsm, 6mm Saum, or as @Andrew Massi stated, the 6mm prc.

something tells me a 69 grain absolute hammer out of a .270 wsm necked down to 6mm might occupy a truly unique performance niche.
And who cares about barrel life! I can already hear the complainers complaining haha. You've already shot out one barrel and don't seem sorry at all. The people who gripe about needing a barrel to last forever should just get a .308 and be happy and stop raining on our velocity freak parades!!!!

Recent Posts