Chambering cost

GAP is $290 going onto a trued action so that makes a Rem swap $390 including truing up the action before installing barrel.

Two of the top of my head are Bugholes at $350 and Mark at Short action customs at $425, every smith locally that does a decent job is $300 plus, I know some very good smiths even at $400+ and they turn away work. Forgot Chad at $325, I'll think of more.

+1

The price is secondary to the quality and the time spent cutting the chamber. Smiths with CNC machines can chamber a standard chamber in under one hour but still charge a lot more per hour than smiths that chamber the old fashion way (On a lathe) who spend more time with set up and feel that they need to charge for there time.

Wildcats require more time and are normally more expensive because of the extra time and material they have to deal with.

Be wary of cheep chambers because this is truly a get what you pay for scenario. Use who you want and pay what you want.

Just my opinion
J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
My last experience with a gunsmith threading and chambering a barrel, cut to length and crown, and threading the muzzle ran me $550. That was with a Stiiler action and Bartlein barrel.

Again performing the work many can do. Backing up the results to a reasonable level of accuracy, a few. It depends on what would be satisfying to you. Cost is like temperature it should be relative for you.

Again performing the work many can do. Backing up the results to a reasonable level of accuracy, a few.
There seems to be plenty of licensed plumbers and electricians, too. Tried to get something done 'today' at a machine shop? Are ya' needin' a roofer, carpenter, or auto mechanic lately. "Many" can do those jobs, too. Finding one that's worth while is another story.

Last edited:
I've had some 200.00 newly chambered barrels come in my shop. 98%of them had throats that were crooked as a do it yourself haircut.

I've been charging 400.00 for indicated Chambers for the last 10 years now. And believe me none of the Riflesmiths I know are getting rich fitting barrels even at 400.00 Don't believe it, open your own shop.
What is the Smiths Experience and Craftsmanship worth? When you compare our profession to others like Plumbers or HVAC Tech etc...

In my area I have a couple of clients that are in both trades. Both have services charges just to show up that are 165.00 to 200.00. Then the same for the first hour one hour minimum. Second hour is prorated. So they walk away from every service call with minimum 330.00 - 400.00. The local Car dealerships charge 150.00 for an estimate. People have been conditioned to pay those rates and accept it.

So the next time you guys talk to your Riflesmith remember he has to make a living too. You're not just paying for what he does you're paying for his knowledge. Just like you would pay a Doctor or Attorney or any other professional for his knowledge. Don't try to beat him down on the fees he charges. Its an insult. You get what you pay for in this business.

Richard Hilts
Hilts Accuracy Custom Rifles
www.hiltscustomrifles.com

Last edited: