6mm-06 build

I would build a 6-284 on a long action so you can seat the bullets out a bit. I shoot retumbo with a 28"bbl and 115 bergers and an 8 twist. It is a homewrecker. The 284 on a long really lets you do what you want. This aint your fathers 243 for sure. I havent chronoed it in ages but remember around 3050 with the 115 and lapua brass. 284 is hard to beat in a long action with long bullets and those 115s do some silly damage. Never seen a deer get away and it will shoot thru the front shoulder entering and out the hip bone leaving a huge hole on a big whitey.

I would build a 6-284 on a long action so you can seat the bullets out a bit. I shoot retumbo with a 28"bbl and 115 bergers and an 8 twist. It is a homewrecker. The 284 on a long really lets you do what you want. This aint your fathers 243 for sure. I havent chronoed it in ages but remember around 3050 with the 115 and lapua brass. 284 is hard to beat in a long action with long bullets and those 115s do some silly damage. Never seen a deer get away and it will shoot thru the front shoulder entering and out the hip bone leaving a huge hole on a big whitey.

Ditto :D. There are a handfull of us on here using Ramshot Magnum in our 6-284's, which falls between H-1000 & Retumbo IIRC, with Lapua brass, most of us are running close to 3400 with the 107 SMK. I would guess you could get a lil more out of the 115 :D.

6-284...Hmmmm...im doing some reading on this wildcat. what more can you tell me about this ?

6-284...Hmmmm...im doing some reading on this wildcat. what more can you tell me about this ?

Lapua 6.5-284 brass necked down, some do it in one step, some do it in multiple steps with bushing dies (bushings are preferable). Fed 210M primer, Ramshot Magnum Powder & the good 'ole 107SMK. As far as flat shooting goes... well, just run the numbers yourself:D

There is one caveat, the 6-284 is known to eat barrels (probably no more than the 240Wby or 6-06) as they are VERY similar in performance. But the 6-284 can utilize Lapua brass (so can the '06 but it is only available in 30-06). You can set your reamer for tight neck or not which will allow necking the brass & loading w/o neck turning (it's not as fun as you think:rolleyes:).

VERY, VERY accurate cartridge, when I was testing Magnum @ 100yds starting @ 54.5 grns (~3150fps) & working up to over 57.0 (use caution) in .5grn increments, I can honestly say I never saw a three shot group over 5/8". That's six (6) different loads that shot under MOA @ 100yds. That was quite a while ago & I suspect had I done my testing @ 200yds (I was lazy) it may hav been different, maybe not. I can tell you the 54.5grn load (albeit slow) did print a 3 shot group @ 500yds of right at 1.75".... I can deal with that!

only problem is i can get 2900-3000 fps with a 105 out of my 243. when build i would like to build something that can get more then 150 fps gain over what i already have. the 6mmAI is looking more promising. only trouble is fire forming.

what velocities are you guys getting with the 6mmAI and 6mm-06 with 80-105 grainers

only problem is i can get 2900-3000 fps with a 105 out of my 243. when build i would like to build something that can get more then 150 fps gain over what i already have. the 6mmAI is looking more promising. only trouble is fire forming.

what velocities are you guys getting with the 6mmAI and 6mm-06 with 80-105 grainers

Tweek, I think you misread my post, my first accuracy node was at 3150, I am now, as most fellas, running up around 3350-3400. Thats quite a bit more than your .243.

I also have the 6mmAI, which does have a better neck design, but it is a 1-12 twist. I'm launching an 85grainer @ 3500 out of it, which isn't pushing REAL hard but still leaves excellent case life.

O wow that is a big improvement now youve got my attention. My 243 is an 700 SPS Stainless with a short action. Could i use a short action with the 6-284 or do i need to look into getting a long action?

What kind of optics you recommend for $800

You can use the short action with one caveat, while utilizing the long, heavy, high BC bullets like the VLD or SMK, you will be relegated to rolling it single shot. My COAL is ~3.100 (measuring to the meplat not the ogive) running the 107smk with the bearing surface/boat tail seated right at the cases' neck shoulder junction.
There are a bunch of fellers here that run one at a time & are quite good at it, my opinion runs the other was (as usual:D) I can't freaking stand single shots & am willing to drop serious coin to ensure I can mag feed. Thus, mine is a long action. gun)

To each their own... Keep us all posted with your decision & subsequent build.

My favorite gun in the safe is my 6-06 built on long action savage. Shoots 80gr ttsx @ 3500 fps in the same hole at 100yds, if i take my time. Best shot to date was this year, a big old woodchuck picked the wrong day to have some soybeans for dinner at 500 yds. Also shot a doe last year with it at 175yds, not that far by long range standards. She only went 20yds and tipped over. I'm no expert and I may be wrong but, if you don't get carried away with pushing the limits on the powder charge, you shouldn't have to worry about barrel life with this caliber....J.R.

i know this is an old thread but what bushing would one use to make 6-06 out of 30-06 brass I think I can use a 25-06 redding bushing dies and then neck it down from there and ending with what bushing, or do I start with 30-06 bushing dies?

i know this is an old thread but what bushing would one use to make 6-06 out of 30-06 brass I think I can use a 25-06 redding bushing dies and then neck it down from there and ending with what bushing, or do I start with 30-06 bushing dies?

I just used standard FL sizing dies to load my first 6/06 ammo, stuff I already had on hand. I used 7mm-08, .270, .25-06 and .243 to neck down new Winchester .30/06 brass. I don't know if you could start with a .25-06 bushing or not, might be a little too much for the first pass. If you have some range pick up brass youi could try it and see.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.