Forming 6mm-06 case Problems?

mindcrime

A few of you may remember that I am having a 6mm-06 Ackley built on a Mauser 98 by a local gunsmith. Seems like the poor fella doesn't think the reamer will cleanup the 243 Win chamber on the A&B barrel. I assured him that it would since my pal that owns the reamer did a H&R single shot by hand, and it looks clean as a whistle. Anyway, he is wanting a round to test fire, and since I had ONE 25-06 in my case collection (with many more coming /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) I went to sizing and loading one test round for the Doubting Thomas 'Smith./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've never down sized a neck on a wildcat, only upsize (my 6mm PPC). I used Imperial Sizing Die Wax on the neck and made a few passes into the FL die, until the whole neck was 6mm down to the shoulder. My problem is that when I made the four mini passes to dial in the die, the neck's EDGE got a bit lopsided, scalloped, if you may. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif So then just for formality, I trimmed the neck to an even length (didn't measure, just evened it up). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I then passed the shell over my 6mm mandrel die that I use for changing .220 Russian brass to the 6mm PPC, and loaded it with a Federal Magnum 215 Match primer, 53.5 gr. RL-22, and a 107 gr. Matchking and seated it to the length of the Mauser's box (should be plenty enough to form a good 40 degree shoulder). One test round ready to go./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

So here's the question: How do I properly downsize the 25-06 brass without having the scalloped edge. Was it the fact that I made multiple passes to get the die set correctly? Or, maybe the fact that it was the first application of the Die Wax? Any tricks of the trade would be appreciated! Also, when downsizing necks, do I need to get an inside neck reamer (supposedly gets rid of the "doughnut at the base of the shoulder---on the inside)?/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

THANKS for any info you could provide. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Get a die set for your intended cartridge lube and run the 25/06 through the die necking it down to .243 you should be good to go, then of course you fire form in your new chamber after this you will have the improved shoulder and be able to load normally with the dies.

Ok, Thanks. I figured that the reason the neck's edge was botched a bit was because I necked it down in four stages. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Depending on the size of the chamber, you may be able to fireform the 25-06 as it comes out of the box. You would of course use the cream of wheat method, not a bullet.

If you find that you are scrunching the necks often, you will need to neck turn a bit of material off. Some commercial brass is 16 thou or thicker so will not tolerate squishing smaller. Neck turn to 12 thou or so then size down. You will have no problems.

If you just fireform the 25-06 as is, make sure you check that there is enough clearance after sizing to release the bullet. You may need to neck turn a smidge. You should have at least 2 thou of neck clearance around the chambered rd.

Jerry

I just use redding 243 dies. One pass with the die set up to neck size down to the shoulder and they come out perfect.

[ QUOTE ]
I just use redding 243 dies. One pass with the die set up to neck size down to the shoulder and they come out perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good idea too, but I don't own a 243 Win and thus don't have those dies. I DO have 6mm-06 Ackley dies already though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

BTW, I've been thinking again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I may wait to order the brass until I get the reamer and the completed barrel job back. Then I can actually measure the reamer itself to determine it's exact neck length, and based on that I may use 270 Win brass, and then trim to the correct length to have as long of a neck as possible (since it recedes a bit after fireforming especially in an Ackley), while fitting in my chamber. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks for the heads up about possibly needing to neck turn just a bit. Luckily, I am completely set up for turning the 6mm caliber since both my 6mm Remington Ackley Improved and 6mm PPC BOTH have tight .266 and .262 necks respectively. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BTW, would you mind to give me a "refresher course" on the cream of wheat method. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I don't really worry about barrel life on my other 6mms but with this '06, I may be lucky to get 1200 rounds out of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, would you mind to give me a "refresher course" on the cream of wheat method. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I don't really worry about barrel life on my other 6mms but with this '06, I may be lucky to get 1200 rounds out of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nevermind, I found a link describing COW fireforming. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dont worry to much about uneven case mouths on fireforming loads. This will be present to some degree on all cases with their necks reduced in diameter.

I do not even trim the necks square until you fireform the brass. The reason is because each case will stretch and shorten to varying degrees when fireformed. If you trim the cases before forming, you will have to do it again after forming as well so why not just do it once on the formed cases and save some bench time.

Just how I do things.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.