Custom build

American_Wookie

Been looking for a 30 aught 6 long range, can't seem to find something I really like. And custom jobs from pros too much and noticed that a lot are not doing that caliber anymore. So now planning out to build my own.

Thinking a rem 700 receiver 3006 chamber not sure about barrel length don't want crazy 30 but not 22 either, along with twist and manufacturer.

Any suggestions welcome, I can make the shot but first time thinking custom. Looking for a 1k yard rifle.

Been looking for a 30 aught 6 long range, can't seem to find something I really like. And custom jobs from pros too much and noticed that a lot are not doing that caliber anymore. So now planning out to build my own.

Thinking a rem 700 receiver 3006 chamber not sure about barrel length don't want crazy 30 but not 22 either, along with twist and manufacturer.

Any suggestions welcome, I can make the shot but first time thinking custom. Looking for a 1k yard rifle.
American Wookie -

Howdy !

The 30-06 won @ 1,000 yd @ Wimbledon, if memory serves. Sierra mentioned it in their reloading manual for that cartridge, for some years.

For a D.I.Y. job, you might consider going w/ a " pre-fit " barrel. There are a host of potential providers, that can supply a quality product for your needs. You can get these in .30-06, fer sher.

Rifles set-up for use of a " barrel nut " can allow one to taylor the rifle's " headspace " to their needs.

You can purchase an action that has, or can accomodate a great trigger. This would be a " long " action
( as in M-700LA, for example ), or comparable other.

Perhaps use of a stock that comes w/ a " V " type bedding block ?

With regards,
357Mag

"Long Range" and "30-06" don't belong in the same sentence lol. I'm kidding, kind of, but there's a reason nobody lists them on their build sheets. There are far better cartridges for "Long Range". If 5 builders have a specific cartridge listed, it's probably a good place to start.
Reason I want 3006 is I have a collection of WWII rifles all chambered in 06, figured don't need to over do the calibers. I have a 308 rem 700 as well but would like to focus on trimming to one caliber.

First decide if you want a blued barrel , stainless steel ,or a wrapped barrel ,twist should be 1/10 . Length should be at least 26 /28 inchs , that will give you good Velocity. Conture of your barrel is where it gets tricky, #5 would be the smallest ,and a light Palma would be even better ,if your barrels to light it'll heat up to fast if it's to heavy you won't use it enough, one choice affects the others and so on . Remington 700 LA can have a clip Or magazine or the drop BDL floor plate . There's great aftermarket triggers for the 700 rem think (trigger tech), have you found a Custom gunsmith? Are you up to date on different barrel manufacturing process, cut-rifled VS buttoned ?, lots to think on and it can be overwhelming at times , stock choices, wood Fancy Or plain ,or synthetic,scope choices. This build will be more Specialized then your other 30 calls,but if built right you'll be happy forever, pm me if you wish ,cheers !!!.

American Wookie -

Howdy !

The 30-06 won @ 1,000 yd @ Wimbledon, if memory serves. Sierra mentioned it in their reloading manual for that cartridge, for some years.

For a D.I.Y. job, you might consider going w/ a " pre-fit " barrel. There are a host of potential providers, that can supply a quality product for your needs. You can get these in .30-06, fer sher.

Rifles set-up for use of a " barrel nut " can allow one to taylor the rifle's " headspace " to their needs.

You can purchase an action that has, or can accomodate a great trigger. This would be a " long " action
( as in M-700LA, for example ), or comparable other.

Perhaps use of a stock that comes w/ a " V " type bedding block ?

With regards,
357Mag

"Long Range" and "30-06" don't belong in the same sentence lol. I'm kidding, kind of, but there's a reason nobody lists them on their build sheets. There are far better cartridges for "Long Range". If 5 builders have a specific cartridge listed, it's probably a good place to start.
I have a Remington 700 heavy barrel 30-06 rifle.

Attachments

• 29A8B8ED-5BD7-4FE9-87C4-87F364967E14.jpeg
    29A8B8ED-5BD7-4FE9-87C4-87F364967E14.jpeg
    843.9 KB · Views: 52

1KY rifle? Target or hunting? Budget? Rifle weight goal? Your barrel twist rate will depend on the bullet you are going to use. Some of the monos require a faster twist.

I have a Kimber 8400 Hunter 24" in .30-06 that I have my gunsmith re-chambered to .30 Gibbs. It's currently propelling the 190 Berger at 2806 FPS with more room for more powder.

20200507_135146.jpg

Last edited:
I built one on a Savage action, mostly because I had traded into a bunch of parts. Went with the improved version, as I already had lots of improved brass from a previous rifle. - dan

Mine used a Mauser action, a normal reamer ,27.25 inch #5.5 conture Hart ss 1/10 twist barrel,and sits in a Houge pillar beded stock . It's always interesting to compare other builds with mine, many ways to skin that cat ,lol cheers !.

1KY rifle? Target or hunting? Budget? Rifle weight goal? Your barrel twist rate will depend on the bullet you are going to use. Some of the monos require a faster twist.

I have a Kimber 8400 Hunter 24" in .30-06 that I have my gunsmith re-chambered to .30 Gibbs. It's currently propelling the 190 Berger at 2806 FPS with more room for more powder.

View attachment 296698
The Gibbs cartridges were pretty hot for a while, but I have not seen many lately.
What twist are you running with the 190's ?

Buy a TIKKA, in .30-06 and just, go Kill Chit !
Put a Spring in the Trigger, IF "needed", to Lighten and make SURE that, it HAS, a STEEL Recoil Lug and the barrel / forend "Freefloat", is clearanced, properly.
NOTE : the .300 WSM is,.. the 1,000 Yard "Champ",.. MOST of, the Time, nowadays !
BUT IF, I wanted to "Build", an ACCURATE, long range, .30-06 I'd,..
Use, a Tikka ( or Custom ) action, McMillan or, Manners Stock, with, a 26 to 28 inch, Brux or Bartlien Barrel and find me, a GOOD Benchrest Gunsmith like, Mike Bryant in Texas ( Bryant Customs ) to, put IT, all together. And, be absolutely SURE to pick, the "Right" Twist Barrel for, the Bullet you want/ plan, to USE !
PS; AVOID, the Carbon Wrapped Barrels, as they don't,.. WIN at, 1,000 Yards !

Last edited:
Start at the beginning by defining what your long range game is going to be whether on paper, steel, or hunting and just how far is good enough for you. Everything from there is dependent on trajectory and repeatable accuracy. Then go find some bullets and powders to match your trajectory and velocity goals. Maximize load(s) efficiency with the appropriate barrel length and rate of twist. Go build you rifle and start having fun.