Build custom or buy new and build?

Idah

I have been pondering on getting into long range hunting i have taken 8 elk so far here in Idaho and have shot them between 30 and 400 yards. i want to be able to reach out there around 700-800 yards. My dad bought me my first gun its an older savage 110 in a 300 WM unknown round count. i have shot close to 600 rounds through it. It has a NIkon Buckmasters 4.5-14-40 with the BDC.

I tore it apart this year and found it has been rubbing rather good up towards the end of the stock and making very poor contact with the recoil lug, (i almost think its bent). i wanted to bed the recoil lug but found that the back position where the bolt goes through the stock has actually chipped and the front bolt was only holding on by about two threads, which wore down and has quite abit of play. now i am thinking of a new stock.

So big question here. Do i order a custom barrel with a muzzle break? i was thinking maybe a contour 7 with flutting. then i was looking at a B&C medalist stock or something composite. we hunt off horses and can't have something too large to fit in the scabbard. i would defiantly bed the recoil lug or maybe even the whole action and leave everything past the recoil lug free foating, and a timney trigger. plus new glass that has adjustable turret in MOA.

OR...... do i just buy a Remington 700 (sendaro....pricey) or another savage in a 300 WM. and just build off of it? any advice? i want as close to .5 MOA as possible and i will be reloading gun)

I would call Jim Briggs at Northland Shooter Supply and talk to him. I would build off of the action you have. He can get you a match barrel you can install yourself, a better recoil lug, a trued barrel nut and will step you through the entire process on the phone. It is fun to do it yourself and is easier than you think.

I modified a Remington 700 SPS in .308. Upgrades include Timney trigger, Bell and Carlson Tactical medalist A-5, Surefire Socom Brake, Wyatt detachable Mag kit, and I put a Vortex Viper 4-16x50 scope on it. I shoot 3 round groups, smallest one was .24" @100yrds. Action and barrel are original, unmodified. From my understanding, the only main difference between upper and lower grade 700's is the finish and the stock. B&C Medalist is an awesome, solid platform. However it is solid aluminum covered in fiberglass and with it my rifle weights close to 17lbs. After everything, price is close to $3000. The project was fun and I love my rifle. It may have been cheaper for me to just purchase a precision rifle. If you do build a 700, the SPS action and Barrel are more than sufficient, and you wont have to scrap an expensive stock. Timney trigger is outstanding, crisp, no take up, affordable. Vortex optics come in MOA and they offer the best warranty. You could pretty much do anything to it and they will replace it.

Attachments

• RubyRifle.jpg
    RubyRifle.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 19
The one good thing about a Savage is it's really easy to change barrels.

For probably in the neighborhood of 800.00 or less you can buy a new quality stock and get a Savage Prefit barrel and muzzle brake and have a mostly new "semi custom" rig.

Now you could take quick trip over to Len's Store or that of some of our sponsors here and get an off the rack custom that will almost be a considerable step up from building up on what you have, and it will be done as soon as you can write the check and have it sent to you.

Time or money, which is more important to you?

Either way you'll end up with something you are proud of.

Take a look over at stocky's stocks and see what they have in stock that suits you and then just make up your mind which way you want to go.

I would buy a custom barrel [Krieger,brux = cut rifling ] new recoil lug and find a good smith to chamber it for you and set it up for the bullet and caliber you want to shoot . Best possible way to get what you want from the gun without the 4k plus price tag . Get the stock and trigger on order then sit back and wait for the parts to come in . If you cant find a good smith you could pm me . I know a few that have a good turn-around time with excellent results on building benchrest class accuracy .

Contact quarter minute magnums. They build custom rifles. They build a rifle for me. That thing shoots 1.5 inch groups at 505 yards. They are from Idaho.

I think Wildrose nailed it. A build is a lot of fun and something about dreaming and waiting that makes a build rifle special. Having said that and building several rifles the truth is the best $ value has come from my purchases from someone else that's spent the money but I got the value for a great discount. You definitely can't go wrong with one of Len's rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.