600 yd rifle for Elk & Deer

Selling and buying new is an option I like :D.But not to be disrespectful I think I would be staying with a std cartridge that I could buy box ammo for in case I got too lazy to reload.

Not to get off topic but i just got an email on a current sale of Weaver scopes.How are they ? Any opinions ?

We've owned between 10 and 15 Leupolds over the years (maybe 20). I hear they have a great warranty, but we've never needed it. We've never had one fail. Hundreds of hunts, hundreds of deer, coyotes, groundhogs, etc., etc. Thousands and thousands of rounds: practice, load development, all kinds of ballistics testing. Not one failure.

We've owned one Weaver. It failed. We've also owned one each of several other brands. All either failed or demonstrated substandard performance.

There is some higher end glass out there: NightForce, Leica, Swarovski, etc. But Leupold won't let you down.

I just bought two boxes of 30 cal 210 VLD's about $0.53 .a bullet. Premium 30/06 ammo that you would use @ 600yrds costs about $40/20 or $2/ round. Not seeing handloading as an option.

All my USA made (read: old) Weavers have worked through thick and thin especially the Micro-Trac ones. All new Weavers are foreign made. The high end have Micro-Trac and dual opposing counter springs on the adjustments. But they cost the same as USA made Leupolds. So I buy Leupold.

You really need a barrel at least 26" long to get the most from your 30/06. Shorter leaves too many fps on the table. 10lb rifles are still portable and with a good barrel and handloads will get you well beyond 600yrds.

KB

the 30-06 is a great round. i have adl/bdl that shoot good but they do not compare to the sendero. i would a get a remington 700 long range, a leup scope at least 4.5-14 but prefer 6.5-20 and start reloading, the 30-06 is easy one to load for. you could start with just a good scope; ..... the lower powers like 3-9 you can't tell if it is the- rifle, scope, you or the load that has the error. Also make sure the trigger has been adjusted.

Last edited:
the 30-06 is a great round. i have adl/bdl that shoot good but they do not compare to the sendero. i would a get a remington 700 long range, a leup scope at least 4.5-14 but prefer 6.5-20 and start reloading, the 30-06 is easy one to load for. you could start with just a good scope; ..... the lower powers like 3-9 you can't tell if it is the- rifle, scope, you or the load that has the error. Also make sure the trigger has been adjusted.

Is the Sendero still being made ? If so how is it out of the box ?

Milkie- my son and son inlaw shot my 300 win mag ( handloads) in a 1000 yard match. Each of their respective 15 shot groups you could cover with a sheet of notebook paper. It has a vais brake and a jewell trigger. 6.5-20 leup.

Milkie- my son and son inlaw shot my 300 win mag ( handloads) in a 1000 yard match. Each of their respective 15 shot groups you could cover with a sheet of notebook paper. It has a vais brake and a jewell trigger. 6.5-20 leup.

:)Go tell your son to blow that kind of shooting out his a22.LOL That is great and its not even his gun.I am getting very envious with this site.

Another option I have is to sell my 7mm ADL along with a nib 30/06 Weatherby Vanguard which I forgot I had so it does not hurt so much in my wallet rubbing elbows with you guys.

Thanks to all for talking to me here .....Ed

I would take that weather u vangaurd up on that balcony and se wha it would do you might have that 600yrd elk rifle already in your possession lol..

:)Go tell your son to blow that kind of shooting out his a22.LOL That is great and its not even his gun.I am getting very envious with this site.

Another option I have is to sell my 7mm ADL along with a nib 30/06 Weatherby Vanguard which I forgot I had so it does not hurt so much in my wallet rubbing elbows with you guys.

Thanks to all for talking to me here .....Ed

Have that weatherby vanguard's chamber opened up to .30-06 AI or .30 Gibbs and then you will have a 600 yard elk rifle with the Berger 210 VLD's.

Getting tired of you guys messin' with my head:):)

Have not looked at that Vanguard in a few years.I think it has a target in the box with it from the factory claiming 1 moa.

we probably saved you a bunch of money lol. Put a good scope on that 06 and you got the perfect 600yrd rifle my 06 loves 200gr. Matchkings and imr 4350 @ 3.34 coal. That's all my magazine will allow...

So is the weatherby Vanguard as good as the Remington 700 as a starting point ? Seeing is I have not shot it yet I assume it is worth more.

So is the weatherby Vanguard as good as the Remington 700 as a starting point ? Seeing is I have not shot it yet I assume it is worth more.
That is debatable...And I'm sure it will be.

In stock-for-stock, untouched form....Probably. Modified, I give the 700 the edge based on the massive aftermarket following.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.