500-800 yd elk rifle

Shooter error and improperly loaded cartridges dont make a 100 yard moa rifle not moa at 800 yards - none of that is the rifles fault - so I disagree. I also dont believe anyone has a rifle that has its 100 yard groups shrink from .8 to .4 at 200 yards. I dont settle on a load unless I have single digit SD anyway.
This just isn't true. I shot short range (100 yard) bench rest for a couple of years with a 22/250 that was a sub .25" gun with the 52gr Berger FB and H322 powder. I have a pile of 5 shot group targets in the .15"-.20" range. That load had an SD of 23 fps, but was tuned specifically for 100 yard group shooting. That same load couldn't hold .5 MOA at 300 yards no matter who was shooting.

Any successful BR shooter will tune a load for a specific range. I don't think any serious 1000 yard BR shooters are tuning their loads at 200 yards. That's because a load which shoots .25 MOA at 100 yards won't necessarily shoot .25 MOA at 1000 yards.

I have been looking for some 230 gr eld x bullets to try out in my 338 wm. - I have been loading some 175 gr ablr and 150 gr eld x in the 7mm as well you find something to practice with.

I have considered using my m77 mkii 7mm rm as a starting point, thought about habing douglas put a barrel chambered in 300 wm and having it throated for 210-215 gr bullets - swapping out timney trigger - new stock - convering to the LA stealth detatchable magazine floor, effectively increasing my COAL.

I dont want to really rebarrel my 338 WM it probably only has 4-500 rounds through it and shoots under an inch at 100 - iv been lugging it around for a long time and I'm attatched to it.

I suppose if I did the same thing rebarreling the 7mm to 338 wm I could have it throated for the 230 gr eld x -- or 250 gr berger. Im guessing properly throating the barrel I could safely get an extra 100 fps with those long bullets.

If I can get a good accurate load with the 250 gr berger at 2725 fps that puts me right at the performance threshold of 1800 FPS at 800 yards with over 1800 FT Lbs

If I had to shoot the 230 eld.x because my rifle didnt like the 250.berger I would need a min muzzle velocity of 2730fps to hit its expansion threshold of 1700 fps at 800 yards with just under 1500 ft lbs 2750 fps would give me an honest 1500 ft lbs.

Converting to AICS removable mag would allow me to go 3.6-3.7 COAL - 26 inch barrel throated out for longer bullets should allow me to comfortably hit the velocities needed -

Last edited:
According to berger data the 338 wm is capable of pushing there 300 gr bullet at 2522 fps - I wonder if I throated the barrel if I couldnt get closer to 2600 fps especially loading it to a COAL of 3.6-3.7
Running the numbers - if I could attain 2560 fps I would still be at 1800 fps at 800 yards and almost 2200 FT Lb

The 338 Win Mag will do its best work with 250 grain bullets and lighter. The 250 Berger and 230 ELD-X are both excellent choices. My Ruger 77 MKII is chambered for 338 Sherman. It runs 230 ELD-X, with an OAL of 3.425, at just under 2900 (which is the accuracy node, not max). With the Berger 250 EH seated to 3.555, the accuracy node comes in right at 2800. It is capable of running a 285 ELD-M between 2650 and 2700, but the practical gain over the 230 and 250 isn't worth it. There is no magic to any of these loads. Matching the right powder to the right bullet is the key. With the right powder, your 338 Win Mag should do anything my Sherman does and is likely to be able to produce +100 fps vs the Sherman with a given bullet.

The Sherman case (modified .280 Remington) does not quite have enough capacity to utilize RL-26 efficiently. I believe the 338 Win Mag would be about right for that. Vihtavuori powders, such as N560 and N565 might also work well. My advice is to work with the rifle(s) you have and patiently search for the right powders and bullets. When you have them in hand, take some good measurements of OAL to the rifling, with each bullet you want to use, and do some testing. You are likely to be surprised at the results and likely to find that your performance goals are within reach, using the rifles you already have.

If your testing shows promise, buy the highest quality brass you can find and develop your final loads.

ETA: If you don't already have them, buy a good chronograph (such as a Magnetospeed) and a copy of the latest Quick Load software. Those two items, along with some reloading components and some range time, will take you further for your dollar than any of the factory rifles you have mentioned as being under consideration. Once learned and refined, the same techniques can be applied to your 7mm Rem Mag, giving you some options in the field.

Last edited:
The main reason I want to add a specific rifle for. The task is that I dont wanna weigh down my current 338 with a heavy bulky scope -- and a heavier stock more suitable for extended shooting sessions. -- I'm sure thats not required but I'm definitely not gonna have fun shooting more than 10-15 250 grain bullets in a session with my rifles current configuration. The best accuracy I get consistently out of it is 3/4 inch 100 yard groups.

Buying a new rifle would maybe be more expensive or the same cost of building one off of an action I already own - but I'm taking a 6-700 rifle and putting 900-1000 into it and turning it into an 800 dollar rifle (not a big deal because I do t plan on selling it) but buying a separate rifle gives me more guns - iv read good things about bergaras and hawkeye LRT but I'm sure I could have something put together that is better for the same or less..

I do think I may just stick with the 338 wm in regards to cartridge. I have a lot of really good brass for that already and it should have plenty of range.

I appreciate all the advice so far!

Merry Christmas

After doing more research it looks like it will be way more effort than its worth to get either of my rugers to feed longer cartridges - too much feed ramp work.

I believe im going to reserve both rugers for what they are best at - 400 yard max hunting rifles - which suits me fine.

As far as long range options I believe im going to go one of two routes 1. Pick up a howa 1500 chambered in 300 prc and rebarrel to 33 nosler - the extended 300 prc magazine should work well for a very long 33 nosler cartridge and leave me many options between 250-270 grains. 2. Get a savage LRH in 338 lapua and rebarrel if its not accurate enough.

I ended up restocking my m77 mkii with a Boyd's laminate ,glass bedding , timney trigger. Still not super accurate but I shoot it better.
I then took my m77 mkii 7mm rem mag and Sent it in to Douglas had them out a #4 contour 26 inch SS .338 WM barrel on it. I installed a bell and Carlson stock and timney trigger. I will put vx6 HD 3-18x44 on it and shoot 250 gr accubonds. Haven't worked up loads yet.

IMO, the Ultimate 800 Yard Maximum, "Killer" WITHOUT killing your shoulder is, the .270 WSM with, Bergers 140 grain H-VLDS or, Classic Hunters going, 3,200 FPS at the Muzzle and they are, STILL going, OVER, 2,000 FPS at, 800 Yards ( 5,000 ft. Elev. ). It's a "Lazer beam" to 500ish and with, a 200 Yard Zero, I don't even touch my Turrets, til' Past, 350 yards. All in,.. a 7 lb., 10 Oz Tikka that shoot's, sub. 3/4 MOA on, a "Bad" Day !
IT's a, walking / "Hunting",.. Elk killing, Machine ! And, the 6.5 PRC looks to be,.. just about as "Good" with, comparable Bullets !
PS; We've retired, the .300 Mag's and .338's, in MY Family as we "Shoot",. the Smaller Bores,. BETTER !

Last edited: