6.5mm Voodoo -Unveiled

You sure won't get him replying with good information if your going to insult him. there's even the remote chance someone with such experience as yourself (with "the go and all the experience to go with it") could actually learn from someone else. He is a young man, but a rather brilliant one.

Huh? Could Kirby have been any more careful not to have come across as insulting? I am pretty sure he is trying to keep a guy from blowing his head off! Good Grief! Since when is encouraging caution and giving comparison statistics insulting?

Jmason, You can play with the throat and get different velocity results. But this is way out of the norm. You can tweek them a little but to retain any kind of accuracy there is just so much you can do with a cartridge. I have tried to be as nice and supportive as possible here to show comparables to other similar cartridges that show there is just no way safely these velocities can happen. I have never done the 6.5-300 winchester because there is just not much difference between the 264 winchester an STW so there was really not much need for me to. I have had aquaintances that have done it through the years and seen them shot over a chrono on my range. They shoot right between the 264 winny and STW in the 3300's max with safe loads.

I am not on here to insult Oliver and that is the least of my intensions. I love to see young guys coming in so excited about the sport. We have far to few of them. I am just saying that he either has a very fast barrel like I have never seen or the chrony was messing up that day.

Kirby,
You are looking at the absolute extremes, in 32F weather i was shooting a load of 86grains of H-US869 for 3555fps. This was with 10thou jump. I have fired up to 87grains, and was in the 3580fps range, however there was a significant ejector mark on the case so i threw out the one case and pulled bullets on the rest. Based on coming within 20fps, i said i believe i could hit 3600 with VV-N570. I am not running a load at that speed normally, nor do i even plan to push the limits to do it.

You make valid points, and i cannot rebut any of those points as i have never even fired a 7 STW or 7 RUM. However i do know what my rifle will do.

I just filled 5 cases to the brim with water and weighed the contents, average is 89.9gr H2O.

As for the SMK topping out at lower velocity i'm not surprised, i had the same results and i believe is due to the harder, thicker jacket. I was not able to match the VLD velocities with SMKs, and i have not tried any other bullets. As i have not had a reason to.

1. My chrono is accurate, i have chronoed at least 5 different rifles, gotten reasonable velocities for all of them, compared it to my friend's chrono which also had a good track record, and made hits past 1200yards based on the numbers given by my chrono.

2. I may be young, but i shoot every weekend without fail except 3-4 a year and easily 3-4times a week during the summer.. I do all my own reloading and am fairly confident if my loads were over pressure i would see it. Easy bolt lift, no shiny mark from the ejector, rounded primers, snug pockets after 4 firings... i dont have any pressure gauging equipment, but as far as i can tell, all is well.

3. No, i am most certainly not developing my loads of my keyboard. I have my own personal 500yard range on our recreational farm 45minutes from my home, where i shoot whenever i please, i love tuning loads and reloading in general, and spend way more time than i should doing it!

I had decent accuracy at 3555fps, but did not shoot enough groups to say that it was consistently good. At 3440 it shoots at half minute very consistently.

Maybe (i hope not) the guys at Mayberry GPA got suckered but as far as i was told it was ar500 and 6 teams of 2 had shot at before with .223 up to and including 300 win mag it did not have a scratch on it, and they were not very happy with the hole through the center, i have also dimpled Trebark's 12x12" plate COM at 380yards. Have you hit ar500 with impact velocities exceeding 3100fps? Not that i don't believe you, but i know you do a lot of shooting at very long range, and wonder if you've put steel that close and shot it with one of your ultra-performance rounds. I usually wouldn't, except that this was during a match... So i don't know what to say, i did not ask to see papers to confirm it was ar500, i just apologized, offered to buy the plate for what they paid and went on.

I am 17, only a junior in high school, but i spend a ton of time shooting, reading, reloading and testing for this, so i may not have 35years of experience as some members here, but i feel i know my stuff pretty well, based on my own testing.

I plan on going out and shooting this Saturday, however i may go hunt instead so i am not sure if i'll get more data, but i don't feel i need to anyway. Our deer season runs till march 26th where i hunt, and i have a buddy with a spot to shoot out past 2000yards, but once the season is done and i don't need this rifle anymore, i would gladly ship it to you and you can put some rounds down range and draw your own conclusions, if you wish. Heck if it is really running so much faster than everyone thinks it should, maybe we can learn something as group as to why this is... I would send a few samples of powder that equated to 83.3gr on my scale, you reweigh them, then load it up to make sure you know what it's the cases then do as you please. Let me know.

Well i did not expect this to turn into a huge debate like this... i just wanted to publish my results as i had asked some questions about dies and felt people might like a follow up. Partially spurred on my your post kirby, seems all there is on here nowadays is the same old questions, very few reports and stories. I try to contribute where and when i can, and felt this was, and in my opinion still is, an unbiased statement of my results, as witnessed by numerous others.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a long post!
Oliver

ah i love this forum. good honest discussion. this would not happen on a lot of other boards.

thanks guys for good posts, i agree that if you are getting those results something is weird, and i'll keep following this thread. would love to see kirby, or any of the other guys that have been around here for a long time, spend a little time with your gun just to get a third party opinion.

good thread, good responses. had to say it;)

I've shot ar500 steel at over 3100fps, and it didn't leaves a scratch.

If I had not seen the results of Oliver's testing myself, I would probably be calling BS on this too. But I have seen the numbers on the chronograph and tested loads with Oliver's chrono and my chrono end to end. They tested to within 5fps of each other (which made sense that the 2nd chrono would report a slightly slower velocity). I have also run the same test with another friends chrono and received similar results. Combine that with my own eyewitness acount of Oliver's 6.5 Voodoo and....

1. chrono results are accurate
2. hole punched in steel plate that had been shot and not damaged by 223, 308, 260, 7-08 and 300win mag (shooting 180grain bullets) - seen it.
3. Pressure signs? they are not there. I've seen the brass and lifted the bolt on the gun.
4. put a slight dimple in my 12x12x3/8 AR500 plate at 380 yards - have the plate right here. You can feel the dimple in the center of the plate.

lovdasnow,
"shot steel at 3100fps" please clarify... little more information, and i'm talking about impact velocity, not muzzle velocity... as stated in my last post. caliber, bullet, impact velocity, results, would be helpful.

Trebark,
thanks for backing me up once again! Got to say im enjoying this discussion, not many other forums can things stay as civil as this. This is the LRH i love!

Photos as promised:
IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

(L to R) 6.5mm Voodoo, .260 Rem, 6.5mm Grendel

You forgot to reset your chrony after shooting your .220 swift. No, Just kidding.

Interesting thread, I must say you are accomplished for your age with this endevour.

Just finished a 6.5-280 RCBS (30 degree shoulder) and your thread peaked my interests. Still working up loads though.

Last edited:
Oh the drama.Lol. For being a young man you are well on your way. Nice pics and thanks for getting into the sport and having a civil attitude. Rare these days from some young people.

lovdasnow,
"shot steel at 3100fps" please clarify... little more information, and i'm talking about impact velocity, not muzzle velocity... as stated in my last post. caliber, bullet, impact velocity, results, would be helpful.

Trebark,
thanks for backing me up once again! Got to say im enjoying this discussion, not many other forums can things stay as civil as this. This is the LRH i love!

300RUM 185VLD. 3,350fps muzzle velocity. target was close to 200 yds braced against a stump so there was nearly zero give. impact velocity was 3003 FPS. with 3705 FPE.

my point is that didn't even make a scratch, nothing at all. just hard to believe you shot "certified" AR500. someone probably claimed it to be so they could sell their targets for a higher price.

Last edited:
well again Oliver youare the one who should be happywith your own results.but very thankful for you posting your findings.I have always said you will go places with your shooting.you have done more things in 2 years than most have in 20 I would think.keep up the good work and hope to see ya soon my friend.

John

Pretty neat results guys. I'm still considering a donor for my next build...I was thinking .338, but honestly looking at 7mm Practical (7mm-300WM) as well... your velocities of 3500-3600fps with the Voodo is up there...I'm still leaning toward the larger diameter rounds.

Maybe you and Trebark can test my steel target and confirm whether or not it's AR500? ;)

I'm going hunting on Monday just West of Quantico...been a little sparse this season (for Faquier) because the caretaker of my plot has run dogs too much there this year IMO...I'm just beginning to see more and more deer sign again...at this point I don't care if it's 100 yards or 800 my freezer isn't full so I just want to fill it.

Keep us posted on the development of the Voodoo it's pretty interesting. What's the barrel again--just curious? My 308 seems to run pretty fast compared to my old 308 (Tikka Varmint) even taking into account the extra 2". The Broughton on my Howa seems faster than what I hear with similar loads and bullets...at least 150fps (for equal length barrels).

Matt

Last edited:
Zupatun,
While you can run in that range at absolute top end, but I'm not saying this is a load you want to use constantly, and pressure goes way up with ammo temp.

Also if you'd like to see the Voodoo in action and "test" your steel, maybe shoot a
doe too, let me know. I am off for spring break from the 18th till 28th and will be hunting a lot.

If Monday is a bust, I'll be calling you.

Take care,

Matt

Zupatun,
While you can run in that range at absolute top end, but I'm not saying this is a load you want to use constantly, and pressure goes way up with ammo temp.

Also if you'd like to see the Voodoo in action and "test" your steel, maybe shoot a
doe too, let me know. I am off for spring break from the 18th till 28th and will be hunting a lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.